HG woes, Exhaust manifold clamp!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Pulled passenger side head today and it wasn't all that difficult but looked awful. Lots of sludge and the gasket was toast also must have been leaking some coolant into cylinder 4. Pretty sure it was the culprit that was leaking into the oil also. Bolts were quite variable in their tightness. Some broke free very easily (2,3 and 4 as per the bolt diagram in the FSM) and others were very tight. Surprisingly, there were a few factory nicks on the gasket mating surface too. Tensioners were pretty spongy but the guides looked and felt okay

Got all the pieces off to pull the drivers side but can't for the life of me figure out how to get to the 10mm bolt on the clamp that connects the exhaust manifold to the first cat. Passenger side I just used about three extensions and it came right off, but the drivers side is wedged in there. Can't get a straight shot at it. I'm soaking it in PB blaster right now but need to get it off so I can send them both off to get checked and surfaced if okay.

Anyone out there have a trick for this?

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Thanks! I was going to go with a standard 10mm but 1/16 of a turn at a time would take hours to get that thing backed off far enough to slip it off. That'll give me an excuse to add to my tool collection. I always wanted a set of ratcheting wrenches so I'll just have to get stubby and regulars just in case.

I'll definitely be changing all four O2 sensors before I put all this stuff back together!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I used on mine a ratcheting stubby ,
worked great, off in no time

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
It's quite the knuckle buster in there. Can't wait to see what that HG looks like. Even though I'm pretty sure the passenger side was the bad one, might as well change both since I've gone this far. Gonna have alot of scrubbing with all that sludge and I've found the secondary tensioners were pretty bad. Hopefully that'll solve my chatter. Really thinking of pulling the whole thing to get a look at the bottom end of a 160k engine.

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this? Really just to see what heads and top of the pistons look like, I have 155k .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this? Really just to see what heads and top of the pistons look like, I have 155k.

Not terrible to do but I wouldn't do it unless necessary. If you don't "untorque"
the head correctly you could warp your functioning head. Replace the bolts too. My FSM says you don't have to if they aren't "noticeably" stretched but they are TTY and so should stretch a bit.

Mine didn't look so bad, heads or pistons. A bit of carbon and I could see where the HG was leaking. Now if I can just get mine redone or some decent rebuilts I'll be good to go.

Rhino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the advice 02blue. I hope everything goes well and you find some great head. I mean heads.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk