Help with tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepKJ04

Reaction score
So I have a stock 2004 Jeep Liberty limited and I was wondering when I get my new wheels which are 16x8 what’s the biggest tire I can run with little to no trimming

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have a stock 2004 Jeep Liberty limited and I was wondering when I get my new wheels which are 16x8 what’s the biggest tire I can run with little to no trimming
Stock and 8 inch wide wheels ? Think again
and that is even providing that you have ones with 5 inches of backspacing
Lifted at least two and a half inches with 8 inch and 5 inches of back spacing work well with 265-70-16 tires
but unlifted it is going to rub both front and rear , then you would have to run such a small tire that the sidewalls would be stretched way out which is not good at all
Even removing the flares/ fenders it would rub
You'd have to run a size even shorter than stock height to be able to turn and drive it
stick with a 7 inch wide 5 inch backspaced wheel and 245-70-16s if you are still at or near stock height
MEASURE FIRST YOUR HEIGHT
Left front, middle of wheel to bottom of flare and report back

Last edited:

JeepKJ04

Reaction score
Lifted at least two and a half inches with 8 inch and 5 inches of back spacing work well with 265-70-16 tires
but unlifted it is going to rub both front and rear , then you would have to run such a small tire that the sidewalls would be stretched way out which is not good at all
You'd have to run a size even shorter than stock height to be able to turn and drive it
stick with a 7 inch wide 5 inch backspaced wheel and 245-70-16s if you are still at or near stock height
Sorry for such a late response I’ve been quite busy lately but from the left front, middle to bottom of flare is 17.5 inches. That should go up a bit because I will replace both shocks and struts before wheels and tires. The main reason I wanted a wider wheel is so I could have better fitment, aka I want the tires flush with the flares so should I just look into spacers?

JeepKJ04

Reaction score
These are the wheels I wanna go with https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/baja-...-pattern-black-ar1725765b/_/R-BBDC-AR1725765B. Do you think they’ll work and be flush with the fenders or even have a tiny amount of poke?

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very few 15inch wheels fit our jeeps due to the brake caliper clearance. There is a section on this site dedicated to wheels and tires, also one on lifts. Buying new stock suspension will restore some ride height, but it won't last. Doing a proper lift will cost more but will also last probably the life of the jeep, then you'll have room for proper wheels and tires that won't go away like stock suspension would.

JeepKJ04

Reaction score
Very few 15inch wheels fit our jeeps due to the brake caliper clearance. There is a section on this site dedicated to wheels and tires, also one on lifts. Buying new stock suspension will restore some ride height, but it won't last. Doing a proper lift will cost more but will also last probably the life of the jeep, then you'll have room for proper wheels and tires that won't go away like stock suspension would.
I wanna get a OME lift eventually but that’s a ways away

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna get a OME lift eventually but that’s a ways away
I get what you're saying, but it's a cart before the horse situation. You can do a clevis lift with your stock suspension that will get you about 3/4 inch free in front, but you will have rubbing issues if you bring your tires flush to the fender without more lift.

JeepKJ04

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but it's a cart before the horse situation. You can do a clevis lift with your stock suspension that will get you about 3/4 inch free in front, but you will have rubbing issues if you bring your tires flush to the fender without more lift.
I can’t lift it for a while so I guess they just won’t be flush for a while

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You need new suspension before you do anything
Right now you are 1.5 inches lower than it was brand new
So most anything is going to rub
Even new stock size tires will rub or almost rub
Ive had them roll into my shop at your height and worn out 235-7-16s were rubbing due to being so low

JeepKJ04

Reaction score
You need new suspension before you do anything
Right now you are 1.5 inches lower than it was brand new
So most anything is going to rub
Even new stock size tires will rub or almost rub
Ive had them roll into my shop at your height and worn out 235-7-16s were rubbing due to being so low
When you say new suspension do you mean new springs?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say new suspension do you mean new springs?
Yes, your springs are getting tired, so it’s sitting low. There are several threads here that get into the details. From what I’ve read, shocks should be replaced at the same time. I need to do this later in the summer myself.

JeepKJ04

Reaction score
Yes, your springs are getting tired, so it’s sitting low. There are several threads here that get into the details. From what I’ve read, shocks should be replaced at the same time. I need to do this later in the summer myself.
Ok thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.