Help with Front Diff swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys !!

I found an alternative!!

An other breaker has a 2010 Jeep KK 2.8 CRD Limited Manual and I checked it has the NSG370 6 speed Manu Gear box like mine with the same Final ratio of 3.55.

If the front Diff of this one fits mine that would save me a lot of work instead of replacing the complete rear axle.

Any thoughts about this one guys? Would that fit my 2007 KJ 2.8 CRD Manu ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys !!

I found an alternative!!

An other breaker has a 2010 Jeep KK 2.8 CRD Limited Manual and I checked it has the NSG370 6 speed Manu Gear box like mine with the same Final ratio of 3.55.

If the front Diff of this one fits mine that would save me a lot of work instead of replacing the complete rear axle.

Any thoughts about this one guys? Would that fit my 2007 KJ 2.8 CRD Manu ?
Sorry but will not work either since the KK has a completely different rear suspension then a KJ and will not bolt in.You need to find a 8.25 from a '06 or '07.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's talking about the front diff... Is the front diff the same in a kk?

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's right if the front Diff of a 2.8 CRD KK Manu (built in 2009 since it was first registered in January 2010) is the same as my 2.8 CRD KJ Manu year 2007 (built in 2006) then I don't need to replace the rear axle as there is nothing wrong with mine.

I know that both have a Final Drive Ratio of 3.55 and the gear box is the same Daimler-Benz NSG370.

On the automobile catalog site they put that about mine:

Traction:
4x4 part-time (Command-Trac NV231/NV241, rear permanent, front engaged manually in off-road conditions, shift-on-the-fly)

And that about the KK:

Traction:
4x4 on-demand (Selec-Trac II MP3022, 42/58 default, variable torque split, fully locked mode in low range, front can be disengaged manually)

So I have no idea if that means that the Front Diff is different or not that's why I ask for your help guys.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'02-'05 KJ 8.25 axles themselfs are also different and will not work.The '06 and '07 axles will not work in the older housing since they deleted the tone ring behind the ring gear.

Hi Troy,

Sorry about this but I would like to clarify something because I am not sure I understand you on this one.

Just in case the Front Diff of the KK is not a possible swap with mine I want to be 100% sure that the option of replacing my front and rear 3.55 ratio by the 4.10 ratio of a 2.5CRD is or is not possible.

I enclosed a pic of the rear axle I've been offered. I don't intend to put that Diff housing on my axle. All I was going to do is remove the 4 bolts of the old axle flanges with the Drums and replace them by the flanges of my axle with the disks and the sensors already in place and replace that complete axle with mine. Then connect my rear drive shaft to it.

The only "internal" job I was going to do to the Diffs was to drain the oil if there is any in there, open the cover, clean the inside and check if all looks good then re-seal the cover and fill it with clean oil.

If that doesn't seem right to you could you please tell me why because your opinion is extremely valuable to me.

Attachments

• trial 1.JPG
    trial 1.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 15

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Troy,

Sorry about this but I would like to clarify something because I am not sure I understand you on this one.

Just in case the Front Diff of the KK is not a possible swap with mine I want to be 100% sure that the option of replacing my front and rear 3.55 ratio by the 4.10 ratio of a 2.5CRD is or is not possible.

I enclosed a pic of the rear axle I've been offered. I don't intend to put that Diff housing on my axle. All I was going to do is remove the 4 bolts of the old axle flanges with the Drums and replace them by the flanges of my axle with the disks and the sensors already in place and replace that complete axle with mine. Then connect my rear drive shaft to it.

The only "internal" job I was going to do to the Diffs was to drain the oil if there is any in there, open the cover, clean the inside and check if all looks good then re-seal the cover and fill it with clean oil.

If that doesn't seem right to you could you please tell me why because your opinion is extremely valuable to me.

Looks like that's an '02 axle. As Troy stated it won't work due to differences in electronic equipment, no? Plus converting from disk to drum brakes, not sure if there are any changes there (plus you're going back in time at that point...)

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like that's an '02 axle. As Troy stated it won't work due to differences in electronic equipment, no? Plus converting from disk to drum brakes, not sure if there are any changes there (plus you're going back in time at that point...)

I thought my post was clear enough but officially not.

I don't intend to keep the Drums, they wouldn't fit in my wheels anyway.

I would remove the flanges from the old (2.5CRD) axle where the Drums are attached to and bolt my (2.8CRD) axle flanges to this old axle so it would be then fitted with Brembo Disks and the ABS / ESP sensors that are already fitted in my axle flanges.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought my post was clear enough but officially not.

I don't intend to keep the Drums, they wouldn't fit in my wheels anyway.

I would remove the flanges from the old (2.5CRD) axle where the Drums are attached to and bolt my (2.8CRD) axle flanges to this old axle so it would be then fitted with Brembo Disks and the ABS / ESP sensors that are already fitted in my axle flanges.

Oops. That was a too long didn't read moment. I will now receive my scolding as necessary :killer: :baby:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's talking about the front diff... Is the front diff the same in a kk?

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse
KJ = D30A front diff

KK = D30M front diff

Completely different then each other,don't even use the same gear sets.

You can try and use the older housing but the axles from your housing will most likely not fit.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ = D30A front diff

KK = D30M front diff

Completely different then each other,don't even use the same gear sets.

I can't believe my luck again !

You can try and use the older housing but the axles from your housing will most likely not fit.

What do you mean by this? Are you talking about the rear axle from the old 2.5CRD? If that's the case I asked you in a previous post if you think it would be OK to use my axle flanges bolted on this axle so I would not remove the housing from that axle. If that makes sense.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'02-'05 KJ 8.25 axles themselfs are also different and will not work.The '06 and '07 axles will not work in the older housing since they deleted the tone ring behind the ring gear.

I am sorry to be asking again but I don't understand your point here.

If I buy a complete rear axle from a 2.5 KJ CRD with 4.10 ratio in order to fit the front diff from the same Jeep as well.

The rear axle will come complete with the 2 half shafts. I am not going to remove the half shafts from my 2006 to put in the older housing.

I will only have to remove the flanges from my axle housing to put on the 2.5 axle housing so the ABS sensors goes to each ends of the axle.

Please tell me why you think my idea won't work as I am really stuck here.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to be asking again but I don't understand your point here.

If I buy a complete rear axle from a 2.5 KJ CRD with 4.10 ratio in order to fit the front diff from the same Jeep as well.

The rear axle will come complete with the 2 half shafts. I am not going to remove the half shafts from my 2006 to put in the older housing.

I will only have to remove the flanges from my axle housing to put on the 2.5 axle housing so the ABS sensors goes to each ends of the axle.

Please tell me why you think my idea won't work as I am really stuck here.
The axle shafts themselves are different.You must use '06 or '07 shafts and they don't work in '02-'05 housings.

The Big Boulonnais

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle shafts themselves are different.You must use '06 or '07 shafts and they don't work in '02-'05 housings.

And what about using the 2.5CRD with Disk brakes front and rear axles in 4.10 without modifying anything ?

I would loose ESP and ABS but I can hide the amber LEDs in the dashboard and drive like this or would that trigger more trouble ?

Latest posts

Members online