HELP! Rattles in reverse and drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 3.7L V6, ~127k miles.

While in drive or park, not park or neutral, while the brake is pressed a rattling noise is coming from in the engine compartment (or so it seems). I have tried to look it up and some say engine mounts are the problem. Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to be more specific to get any help. More than likely its coming from underneath the jeep from the heat shield above the cats and/or muffler. find out where its coming from and you'll answer half your question already. Get under it, get dirty.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Could even be a cat coming apart.
Mine on the left side sounded like the whole lower end of the engine was ready to take a walk outside.
Like mentioned need to get under it and try to pinpoint where its coming from

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front of the block is where it sounds like it comes from. I can't put it in drive and press the brake and be in front of it, let alone underneath. Wouldn't it rattle all the time if it was a heat shield or bad cat? It only does in drive or reverse with the brake pressed when the vehicle is stopped.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Front of the block is where it sounds like it comes from. I can't put it in drive and press the brake and be in front of it, let alone underneath. Wouldn't it rattle all the time if it was a heat shield or bad cat? It only does in drive or reverse with the brake pressed when the vehicle is stopped.

Mine only did it in gear
hey heres a thought have a friend or wife/girlfriend etc put it in gear and try it
If its the front check your idler pulley / tensioner could very well be that
( just another thought) determining a sound over the internet is like choosing a wife on the internet, neither makes the same noise on line as they do in person

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes friends said it sounded like it was in the front of the engine near the v in the engine but it doesn't sound too much like a pulley though. Maybe I can catch a recording of the noise. The pulley seemed fine a few weeks ago when I replaced the serpentine.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a rattling.....sometimes sounds like a moan noise (i know, strange) that i have been trying to track down also.....only does it when in gear and slight throttle pressure.....sounds like it might be the same thing. Assumed it might be a heat shield.....crawled around underneath banging and pulling on everything.....nothing seemed to be loose. Did not have another person at the time to hold the brake and gas to make the noise while i looked. Started to think maybe it is internal....like a cat or something. How do you know if the cat is going bad and coming apart? Like the OP said though.....it only makes the noise in gear.....rev it up in neutral and it all sounds fine. I kind of still think it is something with the heat shields and all that matting crap under the whole jeep. Only other thing i noticed was some hydraulic lines....assume for the ******.....vibrated around alot when i tried to duplicate the noise.
Ken

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well timing chains has to be out because they would cause the noise all the time, right? Maybe the are out of adjustment and only act up when a load is placed on them ? Thoughts? Ideas?

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tensioner on tensioner and idle pulley is bad. 30-60 $$ for part. Just in case anyone is havin an issue. Had some coworkers assist. Put screw driver on the stationary portion and found the crazy vibration to go with the noise. Internally failing. Hope this helps!

Elmanga

Reaction score
hi guys,im new in this forum,i had a noise on my jeep liberty coming from the tensioner,i replaced it for a brand new mopar tensioner and the noise is still there,specially when i put the ac on and when putting the shifter on reverrse,any ideas???/ thks in advance

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Fill out your profile or put your vehicle specs in your signature.

If you can, get someone to switch the AC on and/or put it in reverse while you are watching the belt drive components for "movement". Also, did you replace the belt too? Maybe it stretched? I recently replaced a tensioner on a vehicle and the new one was defective. Had to get another.

Edit: just read your message in the profile section. Just check for movement of components as you seem to have tackled the belt and tensioner issues I mentioned above.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tensioner on tensioner and idle pulley is bad. 30-60 $$ for part. Just in case anyone is havin an issue. Had some coworkers assist. Put screw driver on the stationary portion and found the crazy vibration to go with the noise. Internally failing. Hope this helps!
Glad you found the problem.
My belt had stretched a fair amount, I did both belt & tensioner at the same time.
The Gates EPDM belt & Gates tensioner assembly are quality parts.
54404[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

54406[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Get the best and it won't stretch or snap like the rest...:icon_lol:

Attachments

• TensionerReplace4.jpg
    TensionerReplace4.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • GatesEPDMSerpentineBeltK060863.jpg
    GatesEPDMSerpentineBeltK060863.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Elmanga

Reaction score
ok thaks for the quick replay,i wiil do it,yes a replace the belt and tensioner too,im gonna do what you said tomorrow cause right:waytogo: now here in miami is raining pretty bad thanks again

Elmanga

Reaction score
what i do my self is acelerate the jeep from the hood and i saw the tensioner move a little bit and make a nosie and at the same time some vibrations,will be this behavior a normal operation of the tensioner?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
what i do my self is acelerate the jeep from the hood and i saw the tensioner move a little bit and make a nosie and at the same time some vibrations,will be this behavior a normal operation of the tensioner?

The tensioner will twitch or move a bit on "acceleration" (quick increase in RPM). This is normal but there should be no noise. Are you sure you have the correct size belt?

Last edited: