Help ! My gas mileage ***** !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom D

Reaction score
Since buying my '05 limited I've put 520 miles on it while burning 38 gals. Doing the math, that's only 13.7 mpg! The EVIC shows 13.9, so at least I know it's pretty close to the truth.

I pretty much baby the throttle since, after reading several posts here in the forum, I've seen it recommended over and over to try to keep the RPM down around 2,000 for fuel economy. Even while doing that, I'm still getting less that 14 mpg. I can't understand how that can be? I know the Lib is one of the heavier mid-sized SUVs in its class, but 14mpg!? That's crazy! If I knew it was going to be that bad I would probably have opted for something else ... never mind how much I love the Lib.

Are there others with gas mileage this pitiful? Should I take it in to the dealer & have it looked at maybe?

2003KJ

Reaction score
well, assuming it's new, and only has 520 miles total on the Jeep, it's still in the breaking in process. Give it a couple thousand miles before you start to notice your MPG coming up. Mine used to be up in the 16-17 range after the initial break in period, but it's getting close to 30K, which means tune-up time, and my MPG is starting to reflect that. I'm currently averaging 13-14 around town, but as high as 20 on the highway. All with a/c on.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
what tim said...
it's too early to start getting decent mileage..it should go up past 1500 or so miles....but dont expect a big jump...

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
its all relative

break-in, synthetics after break-in, better air flow, 66mph magic number, no mudders (whistle) .

Good luck

Tom D

Reaction score
I appreciate all the replies. Yes, I bought it new. I do intend to switch to synthetic oil at 3,000 miles. I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N the day after I brought it home. I agree that the mpg should get a little better throughout the break-in, but probably nowhere even close to the 17 city / 22 hwy that the window sticker had on it. I think I'm going to have to tow it to make that happen.
bs1.gif

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom D said:
Since buying my '05 limited I've put 520 miles on it while burning 38 gals. Doing the math, that's only 13.7 mpg! The EVIC shows 13.9, so at least I know it's pretty close to the truth. If I knew it was going to be that bad I would probably have opted for something else ... never mind how much I love the Lib.

You should have turned loose an extra $1,240 and purchased the CRD engine. I was able to get 23.5 to 24.0 mpg when the odo had 11 miles on it brand new.
Greg

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
67000 miles--15.5 mpg avg still, w/ KandN, and syn.

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
You should have turned loose an extra $1,240 and purchased the CRD engine. I was able to get 23.5 to 24.0 mpg when the odo had 11 miles on it brand new.
Greg

Same here, except I had to turn loose of a little more than an extra $1,240 (biggrin)

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom D said:
I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N the day after I brought it home.

K&N panel filter on my 6-week old preowned '02 Limited made no difference whatsoever. Didn't notice a boost in power either, so that (very minor, and relatively inexpensive) upgrade seems pretty much like a waste to me.

Pretty much continually consider a complete new K&N intake but weighing the $200+ cost--even with the *obscene* San Diego gas prices it's going to take awhile to make that cost up--years. And after seeing the close-to-nonexistent gain from the K&N panel filter I figure I have to assume a complete intake system might get me an extra 1mpg--maybe?

Likewise, this thing will be seeing synthetic oil next oil change.

Anyway--I'm averaging about 17.0-17.5mpg in my '02. I have substantial tires on it though and have to run the A/C 24/7 in this climate which I'm sure has a significant effect.

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 all stock. I was seeing around 14-15mpg city driving for the first 3k or so. Now i'm getting around 16-18mpg all city. Like all the others said, keep it 2000rpms or below and you will be fine.

I don't really know about the K&N, some people swear by it while others have seen a drop in their gas mileage.

Best thing you can do is check tire pressure, keep er in tune, synthetic oil, and above all, take it easy on the accelerator.

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
You guys must have a heavy foot for the accelerator, or else something needs to be checked..... I just got the worst mileage yet out of my last tank of gas at 14.55 mpg for 19.5 gallons...(I usually average ~18.5, half city, half hwy)... but only AFTER TOWING MY 3500 lb BOAT for OVER HALF THE TANK!!! I figure I'm getting ~12 mpg while towing the boat (overdrive off), and ~18.5 without.

Luis

Tom D

Reaction score
Tightwadsjeeper said:
You guys must have a heavy foot for the accelerator
Actually, we've been babying the gas pedal while trying to keep the tach down at 2,000 or below. I can only WISH I were getting the gas mileage that you're seeing. If it doesn't improve I'm going to take it in to the dealer and have it looked over. The motor seems to be running fine though, no soot or other indications of running too rich. I recently rented a Yukon (~5,500 lbs. w/ 5.3L) for a vacation to South Padre Island. After putting 800 miles on it, the Yukon averaged 18 mpg. Likewise, my father's Durango 4X4 has an additional 800 lbs over the Liberty and a 4.7 V-8 and still averages around 18.

The Liberty is only 4,000 lbs and with a 3.7L V-6. The displacement - weight - fuel burn with the Lib just isn't making sense.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Ya know I was talking to guy w/an Acura MDX and he says that he gets 22 avg. He said the mdx wieghs in at 3800 and has a 5 speed auto and he attributes the 22 city 25 highway to that.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, transmission does alot...some have postulated that the different ****** in the 02s versus later years, is why some 02s get such poor mileage...

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
On an 05?? Going easy on the throttle??? YOU need to get that thing checked... I think there's GOT to be something wrong. There's NO WAY that our mileage should differ THAT much.... in fact, we ought to be getting almost identical mileage except for the elevation factor.

Luis

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
ok... just ran the #'s for my last tank of gas (figured by dividing mileage between last fillup and this one, by gallons used)..... 337.1 miles and 17.95 gal.

18.78 mpg. About 3/4 highway, 1/4 around town. Next tank should be a little better... mostly highway mileage.

Luis

hueyflyer

Reaction score
Just installed a K&N 4.5 x 5" air filter hooked up through a Rusty's Air tube hoping to gain some gas mileage. Appears to have gone the wrong way! On the first fill up she went from an average of 19mpg to 18mpg. During this time I drove approx 3/4 highway miles at around 70mph for a total of 225 miles. I did read in a thread on a different subject that the K&N took 500 miles to start gaining mileage improvements. That really does not make sence to me. Comments please!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.