Help me please!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after 9 years im down to ONE! speaker, left rear door, i need my music n i have that feeling this speaker will quit on me soon. do i have to get a particular speaker or can i just get anything. yes i know it has to be the right size 6 1/2

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently they're all 6 3/4 inches. I recently bought 4 new speakers, but I haven't gotten round to actually swapping them out. I bought Alpine 6 1/2 inch speakers with adapter rings to fit the 6 3/4 hole.
Any speaker will do if you don't have the premium sound package - those speakers have individual amps on each speaker

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently they're all 6 3/4 inches. I recently bought 4 new speakers, but I haven't gotten round to actually swapping them out. I bought Alpine 6 1/2 inch speakers with adapter rings to fit the 6 3/4 hole.
Any speaker will do if you don't have the premium sound package - those speakers have individual amps on each speaker

how do i find out if i have premium? i have 04 limited

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i have premium since i have controls on steering wheel

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they did not go with one main amp for all the speakers like they did in the WJ, on the KJ. If it were me I would run new wire to all the speakers and install new speakers. Heck here is an idea go to a junk yard get a amp from a WJ and the whirring harness and add it to the KJ the WJ has 6x9's woofers in the front doors and 6 1/2's in he back doors and they thump.

http://wjjeeps.com/radios.htm

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to crutchfield, entered my vehicle, and they told me what I could get. They were just plug and play, went right into the pre-existing wiring and screwed em in. I even did most of it myself, and that's a feat! I only did the front, not enough cash to do all 4, but the back speakers will be done eventually.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why they did not go with one main amp for all the speakers like they did in the WJ, on the KJ. If it were me I would run new wire to all the speakers and install new speakers. Heck here is an idea go to a junk yard get a amp from a WJ and the whirring harness and add it to the KJ the WJ has 6x9's woofers in the front doors and 6 1/2's in he back doors and they thump.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Factory audio systems

you don't NEED an amp at all. The speaker wires from the head unit will be enough to make the speakers work. the premium sound package had a small amp on each speaker to boost the sound.
Using one main amp is a popular way to make your speakers 'louder'.

All you need to do is buy four 6 3/4" speakers (or four 6 1/2" speakers with adapters) and swap out the old ones with the new ones.

Weaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they are coaxials not components, coaxials can be run off the factory deck. If you get components your gonna spend more and they will sounds like shit unless you have a 4 channel amp

GL

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Alpines from Crutchfield in our Libby, and they work fine.