help me figure out My jeep exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6ixJeeper

Reaction score
There seemed to be deeper toned exhaust on when i bought my gold 2006 lib in 2017. I have had it ever since and now im thinking of making it louder but i dont know if i have an exhaust or its just pipe. How can i tell without putting it on a lift? i wish i could add video from my phone

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Muffler is more than likely rotting out
so new muffler and more than likely tailpipe is needed

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Find a tall curb, drive the passenger side of your Liberty up on it and slide under for a peek. Holes are east to spot. DAMHIK.

Be careful with the hot pipes. They will take skin quick.

6ixJeeper

Reaction score
Muffler is more than likely rotting out
so new muffler and more than likely tailpipe is needed
I don’t think so, it sounds like the res was done or something I can tell. Defiantly not stock though my files are too big of a video even though they are small clips to post :/

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Which one is the one you want to share?

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think so, it sounds like the res was done or something I can tell. Defiantly not stock though my files are too big of a video even though they are small clips to post :/
" like the res was done " ??????

If you are talking about a resonator , then 02-07s did not have one , only one muffler , 02 and some 03s had 3 cats, after that two cats

so wanting to make it louder ??
Magnaflo muffler will make it sound somewhat louder but not like a V6 fa*t can Toyota/Honda etc

Last edited:

6ixJeeper

Reaction score
" like the res was done " ??????

If you are talking about a resonator , then 02-07s did not have one , only one muffler , 02 and some 03s had 3 cats, after that two cats

so wanting to make it louder ??
Magnaflo muffler will make it sound somewhat louder but not like a V6 fa*t can Toyota/Honda etc
Okay! Guess I’m gonna check to see what’s going on at a muffler shop… what I have on right now sounds nice. Check the google drive video

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So what you have now sounds nice, you say
But dont know what you have
but also want to make it louder
So if you like the sound now , why not just leave it alone ?

Joey D

Reaction score
You want it louder? I hope you're not taking about those little tuner cars loud. Can't believe people actually pay money to make their cars sound like ****. I think mine has a issue with the exhaust haven't really checked, hasn't bothered me yet but it seems a little louder than I think it would have been stock. Brand new are they pretty quiet? Or are they just a bit louder than most cars?

6ixJeeper

Reaction score
So what you have now sounds nice, you say
But dont know what you have
but also want to make it louder
So if you like the sound now , why not just leave it alone ?
I want to know what the previous owner did to it but idk how to tell if it was messed with, without putting it on a lift cause I don’t have access to one. I was also asking if anyone could tell what was done to it…

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
GO TO A MUFFLER SHOP
look at muffler etc. , take pictures or try to find a name on muffler etc
that is the only true way if you can not jack it up and look underneath yourself
anything else is just a shot in the dark

6ixJeeper

Reaction score
GO TO A MUFFLER SHOP
look at muffler etc. , take pictures or try to find a name on muffler etc
that is the only true way if you can not jack it up and look underneath yourself
anything else is just a shot in the dark
Thanks! Go figure but I’ll try to get this done. Honestly I have been looking at the mbpr cat back exhaust and I think it sounds pretty decent. I like that growl / srt tone if that makes sense. Might buy it soon but do you recommend anything similar? My buddy has the flowmaster 44 exhaust or muffler which sounds fine but the tone doesn’t suit my like

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! Go figure but I’ll try to get this done. Honestly I have been looking at the mbpr cat back exhaust and I think it sounds pretty decent. I like that growl / srt tone if that makes sense. Might buy it soon but do you recommend anything similar? My buddy has the flowmaster 44 exhaust or muffler which sounds fine but the tone doesn’t suit my like
FLOWMASTER sounds like crap on the KJ, had one on the 04 right after I bought it brand new , they sound good a V8 but not a V6
I have an almost brand new MBPR laying in the shop, ran for one week on the 03, then removed
ok at idle and low speed but out on the road and hitting passing gear you could not talk to the passenger 2 foot from you
Magnaflows are good sounding ran one on the 04 for over 190,000 miles some on here have heard it in the past

Reactions: JRB

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FLOWMASTER sounds like crap on the KJ, had one on the 04 right after I bought it brand new , they sound good a V8 but not a V6
I have an almost brand new MBPR laying in the shop, ran for one week on the 03, then removed
ok at idle and low speed but out on the road and hitting passing gear you could not talk to the passenger 2 foot from you
Magnaflows are good sounding ran one on the 04 for over 190,000 miles some on here have heard it in the past

X2 on this

i haven't heard a Flowmaster sound good on a v6 that hasn't had major engine work done

I put a mbpr exhaust on my last tj I had when my exhaust rusted out, it sounded too ricey/import for my taste. I dealt with it since I spent the money, but hated myself for choosing that one.

6ixJeeper

Reaction score
X2 on this

i haven't heard a Flowmaster sound good on a v6 that hasn't had major engine work done

I put a mbpr exhaust on my last tj I had when my exhaust rusted out, it sounded too ricey/import for my taste. I dealt with it since I spent the money, but hated myself for choosing that one.
Yeah I appreciate the feed backs! My buddy has a flowmaster 40 on his lib which is okay but I really enjoy what I have on mine. Might just do a muffler delete to get it going… the videos don’t really do it justice on how my exhaust sounds. Once i floor it past 3500 rpm it opens up and I love the aggressiveness

Reactions: JRB

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I appreciate the feed backs! My buddy has a flowmaster 40 on his lib which is okay but I really enjoy what I have on mine. Might just do a muffler delete to get it going… the videos don’t really do it justice on how my exhaust sounds. Once i floor it past 3500 rpm it opens up and I love the aggressiveness
muffler delete ?
so you want an awful sounding KJ ?
Just curious