Help me buy a Wrangler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting rid of my Libby....but I have to turn my other vehicle in on a lease and was thinking about going with a used low mileage Wrangler. Probably 2007 and up. I'm looking to stay around the $20K and under $25K price range.

Any tips on things I should look out for when shopping around? Like you guys informed me about the differences in the Libby of the Automatic Trans on the 2003 and I just happened to get lucky on that front and get the better one. I learned the difference between full-time and part-time 4WD.....and found out I probably have the wrong version of Part-Time 4WD for my use, Full-Time would have probably been more up my alley....I have Part-Time.:(

So the reason I like the Wrangler is that I'm looking for a vehicle with 4WD where I can go topless on those warm sunny days.:D: I'm not an off roadin kind of guy, but I don't like to get stuck in the mud or snow during the winter months either. So that's my main reason for wanting 4WD. I like to occasionally drive up to a big snow hill and take it on to play around.;)

I've been seeing these 4 door extended cab Wranglers....the Sahara and Rubicon. I don't know the differences between them, but they kind of appeal to me. I like the 4 doors for transporting my friends around and I like the extra room behind the seats for putting my electronic toys on the inside and packing up the camping gear.

Here's my main shopping criteria.
1. Full-Time 4WD
2. 4 Doors
3. Removeable Hard Top: I don't like all the noise of fabric flapping around, and I prefer to keep the heat in during the winter months in Michigan...but I want to be able to take that sucker off and go topless during the summers.
4. <$25K
5. Under 25,000 Miles
6. Automatic Trans

Recommendations???

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1. 4wd full time is not available on JK's.
2. A Rubicon has MT tires, lockers, better axles, and electronic swaybar disconnect.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm??? This one is in my area and has me interested....... I was looking for something a little older to get the price down a tad though.

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/fyc...EASER&address=48092&cardist=21&standard=false

Does the top come off of this thing???

Look for an 07 then. One with the twin top option as they are expensive if you try to get a top after the fact. (since you said you wanted both tops)All the tops come off as was said. Look for a Sahara, as they come with Dana 44's. At least the one my son got did. It is a nice jeep. I get to drive it when I am over his place....:D

Go and test drive a couple of them. I think they are nice jeeps anyway.

Dave

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look for an 07 then. One with the twin top option as they are expensive if you try to get a top after the fact. (since you said you wanted both tops)All the tops come off as was said. Look for a Sahara, as they come with Dana 44's. At least the one my son got did. It is a nice jeep. I get to drive it when I am over his place....:D

Go and test drive a couple of them. I think they are nice jeeps anyway.

Dave

Awesome, thanks for the tips. I think I have it narrowed down now. It looks like I'm looking for a 5 door Sahara or Rubicon between 2007-2009 with the Twin tops option. Sahara is probably more up my alley.....no need to pay extra for the off road stuff on the Rubicon when I'm probably more interested in more stylish interior features of the Sahara and the painted fenders....but if a Rubicon is in my price range and I like it, then I won't turn it away either.

Time to go to the dealers and do some test drivin';)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are looking at a used one at a jeep dealer, get them to print a build sheet as it only takes 30 seconds and that way you will know every option you are getting/looking at.

Dave

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
You can get a new 4 door 4wd hard top and full doors for about 29k at the dealership for 0% financing a lot better deal than used

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a new 4 door 4wd hard top and full doors for about 29k at the dealership for 0% financing a lot better deal than used

This is interesting.......because if I can get a new one at 0% financing then that would bring my payment down to about the cost of a used one. Are dealers offering 0% financing? If I can get 0% financing, then I will go this route, because then I can pick the exact one I want.......because right now, in regards to used, I'm struggling to find one that has exactly what I want, but I've seen quite a few new ones, that have exactly what I'm looking for. Correct color (Dark Blue or Black), Unlimited, Hard Top, Sahara package.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
This is interesting.......because if I can get a new one at 0% financing then that would bring my payment down to about the cost of a used one. Are dealers offering 0% financing? If I can get 0% financing, then I will go this route, because then I can pick the exact one I want.......because right now, in regards to used, I'm struggling to find one that has exactly what I want, but I've seen quite a few new ones, that have exactly what I'm looking for. Correct color (Dark Blue or Black), Unlimited, Hard Top, Sahara package.

yeah the economy crash has led to the 0% i'm sure there are dealers in your area offering it

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah the economy crash has led to the 0% i'm sure there are dealers in your area offering it

I must not be getting lucky then. I found the new Wrangler that I want, but no 0% financing offers. I even read all the papers, and went to a few different dealers. The best they could do was 6.25% APR through Chrysler Financial. I ended up shopping around and got a better interest rate myself from Bank Of America, where they locked me in at 4.49%. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Now that I shopped around, I'm pretty focused in on exactly what I would like on the vehicle and so far I've only found 1 at a dealership that has it. Sahara package, 4WD, dual roof option and the Deep Water Blue color.

One dealership told me that they stopped making the 2009's and basically what are currently on the lots is all there's going to be.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.....today, I signed a purchase agreement for a new JK. Here's what I'm getting.:D
You must be registered for see images

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks good. Congrats.

On the list of options what is "Tip Start"??

Dave

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok....I had to do some googling after finding nothing on the Jeep site. Here's what I found.

Tip Start is part of the electronics that cranks the engine over until it gets a signal to the computer that the engine has started. This was done so that ppl will not crank over a started engine,or that you cannot engage the starter too long.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good purchase! Got any mods planned yet?

Yep.......As soon as I get it, I will be dropping in a MyGig RER Navi radio. I can't live without Navigation in my vehicles any longer.:D

Probably my next project will be seeing if I can put some kind of of wench or rachet lifting mechanism in my garage, so that I can take the rear hard top off and on by myself. Other than that, I can't think of anything else that I really have a burning desire to mod.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got my 2009 JK Unlimited Sahara yesterday. I'm totally geaked and loving this thing.

The ONLY thing that I am a little disappointed about was that there is no electronic adjustable side view mirrors. I really didn't notice this when I was test driving it, but when I was driving it home from the dealer the side mirrors where out of alignment because the dealer did their delivery clean up and must have moved the mirrors. So the 1st thing I looked for was the interior mirror adjustment......I looked...and looked....and looked......then said....DAMN!!!! I have to stop, get out and hand adjust these things? This was one of the reasons I wanted the Sahara package because the Sahara comes with most of the interior comforts that I've grown accustomed to. It's not something that would have stopped me from buying the vehicle......but, I was pretty amazed that this does not even come as an option on the JK.

The "Tip Start" is actually a pretty cool feature. It's basically a push button electronic type starting system with a key. You just turn the key forward and the vehicle cranks and starts itself.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on the color already. This Deep Water Blue is a pretty sweet color. Now the real test is to find out if this Wrangler is worthy of being a chick magnet.:D