HELP! Jeep Clicking When Cold- speeds up with engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L 4x4 ~127k miles.

After starting up in the morning the jeep will click as I drive it down the road. As I go faster and the vehicle speeds up, the clicking gets faster(not louder that I can tell). As I drive and it warms up it goes away(not sure quite when but along the way). It is not very loud. Any thoughts? Thanks all I really need the help, money is tight.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you let the engine get up to full operating temperature before going anywhere does it still clock for a while?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly the first thing that comes to my mind is the engine knock that's EXTREMELY common in these engines.

Jaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone has a smartphone or digital camera, any chance of a video? You could describe a "noise" all day on the internet, but won't come close to the actually hearing it.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to take vid while driving but it's so quiet it may not even get picked up. Once it is warm it will not click. It may just be a cold weather thing?

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will sometimes do this this on really cold mornings...not loud, just there. Last winter drove a couple of hours to get home, parked, then it got below zero all night. Came out the next morning started it up only to have the thing sound like someone dropped a handful of bolts into the upper end. Not good. Towed it to the dealer...needed a new head on one side after only 90K. No rebuild allowed, only a full assembly could be purchased. Price tag was around $3K when fixed. Not good. Called Chrylser Care and they paid me back half, which was very cool of them since I was out of warranty. Turns out the valve spring let loose due to a broken retainer (lousy design for sure). Luckily no engine damage. But instead of allowing the valve to be replaced (rebuild the head), had to purchase the entire assembly...crookery if you ask me. My concern? The other side will fail without notice. So if your "click" is light, just check the oil level, sometimes a 1/4 quart helps on cold mornings. But it should go away once warmed up (a few minutes). If not, have a tech check it out.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Oil level is good! Just checked it tonight. I'll make sure to keep an eye on it.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
Mine clicks for about 30 seconds when i first start it on super cold days

sent using the dark side of the force

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An overlapping metallic noise that increases in intensity as engine speed increases and diminishes as engine warms up indicates abnormal piston and cylinder wear. Haynes manual.

Anyone know how serious that is? Can I just keep going and dealing with the click if this happens to be it?

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly the first thing that comes to my mind is the engine knock that's EXTREMELY common in these engines.

I have to agree any chrysler related vehicle I had, the engine allways had that "tick" to it. my dakota with a 3.9 will knock for a few seconds on a realy cold morning.then it quiets to a tick. I've had it six years now and still going strong. just the nature of the beast I geuss.

jerkylips

Reaction score
I have heard the same thing from mine, always when it's cold, then it goes away. It's not a knock, it's a "click". On my vehicle, it seems to almost be coming from the rear, not from the engine. I had it in at the dealership because it's still under warranty, they couldn't find anything. BTW, mine is a 2011 w/28,000 miles.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of mass produced engines make some noise. Whether it's a hydraulic lifter or piston slap. Fuel injectors will make noise too. Both of my old Neons sounded like they would blow up when starting up cold, they never did.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of mass produced engines make some noise. Whether it's a hydraulic lifter or piston slap. Fuel injectors will make noise too. Both of my old Neons sounded like they would blow up when starting up cold, they never did.

I've seen "piston slap" mentioned a few times - in this thread and others. I know my way around an engine but never heard the phrase before recently.

What is 'piston slap'?

Bob

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen "piston slap" mentioned a few times - in this thread and others. I know my way around an engine but never heard the phrase before recently.

What is 'piston slap'?

Bob

Piston Slap:

A slapping noise in the engine caused by piston wear. This sometimes happens when engines are cold, and can go away when the engine warms, the metal expands, and tolerances between parts change.

As I posted earlier in this list (#11 I think it is), it could be from abnormal piston and cylinder wear which is what I'll assume is "piston slap." There is not really a whole lot that can be easily and most people say they run their vehicles with this for a while. I'm not going to worry about it. I am having other issues like...stalling.

Last edited:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily from abnormal wear, also from sloppy tolerances and different materials expanding at different times in the warm up process. The Dodge 2.0 Magnum got Mahle pistons for this after a while. My 2002 Neon ACR didn't have them, it made noise for at least 140K miles that I know of and last I heard the car was going back and forth between Minnesota and Colorado with its 3rd owner.

Latest posts

Members online