HELP! Is there a guide to remove A/C Evaporator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jace11

Reaction score
Howdy everyone, my 05 jeep liberty had been releasing a freon smell when I would turn off the cold air button. My liberty kept running out of freon for a whole year now. After frequent vacuumes and freon refills, I have not found the leak anywhere under the hood. My next thought would be that the Evaporator has a leak. I have never changed the evaporator or opened the dash board, so it's kind of a scary job for me.

Does anyone have any guides as to how to replace the Ecaporator from behind the dashboard? I saw several videos on YouTube but most of them aren't really showing you the process of how to get there.

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• 20220212_102717.jpg
    20220212_102717.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220802_105428.jpg
    20220802_105428.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 9

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, my 05 jeep liberty had been releasing a freon smell when I would turn off the cold air button. My liberty kept running out of freon for a whole year now. After frequent vacuumes and freon refills, I have not found the leak anywhere under the hood. My next thought would be that the Evaporator has a leak. I have never changed the evaporator or opened the dash board, so it's kind of a scary job for me.

Does anyone have any guides as to how to replace the Ecaporator from behind the dashboard? I saw several videos on YouTube but most of them aren't really showing you the process of how to get there.

Thank you all in advance!
Same procedure as replacing the heater core.

You have to pull the dash loose and drop it down

Not hard to do, but takes a good bit of time. I did mine over 2 evenings, about 4 hrs each.

jace11

Reaction score
Same procedure as replacing the heater core.

You have to pull the dash loose and drop it down

Not hard to do, but takes a good bit of time. I did mine over 2 evenings, about 4 hrs each.
Is there any specific guide you followed or you just started removing bolts and screws until you got to it?

SkyJeep

Reaction score
I replaced my heater core on my 2006 back in April. Did it during Easter week. First time so it was scary to me as well. I watched about a half-dozen You tube videos over and over again, it took me three days, six hours a day to replace the heater core. Thank God I downloaded the service manual because none of the videos mentioned the final three nuts to remove in order to separate the HVAC unit from the firewall. However, all went extremely well . . . I still can't believe it. All the best.

Reactions: klc

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any specific guide you followed or you just started removing bolts and screws until you got to it?
Just the Yt videos.

Each has a different approach, but melded together, you can get it done.

Replace both evap and heater while you are in there.

My 04 is coming home for evap and will get both done. Don’t want to have to repeat all that work.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is confusion on removing the whole dash vs setting it toward the back while some ‘left side’ components are still attached. That is what I did. Might have been easier if I did pull it all.

Same dell with removal vs dropping the steering column. I dropped, but left in the jeep.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jace11

Reaction score
Alrighty y'all I ordered ny heater and evaporator cores. Ima go ahead and just jump into it once they arrive. Wish me luck!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive replaced 3 heater cores/evap cores in 3 different Jeeps (no KJ's yet) and its really not a BAD job. Time consuming, yes, but I try to give myself plenty of time so I can enjoy it. I typically set aside a week or so and will work on it in the evenings as I can. I thoroughly enjoy working on my Jeeps when I am able to set aside plenty of time.

Its always amazed me watching Jeeps being built (on youtube and stuff). They show the entire dash being put in all at once....

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to my heater core "how to" post

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.