HELP I think I'm being ripped off (or lied to)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I take my Liberty in to get the ball joints replaced and front end alignment done, because I just installed my Rusty's coil lift. Well, today I get a call saying that "someone" hammered in the axle on the drivers front, and made getting the axle nut back on impossible

He told me that I have two options...he can attempt to remove threads and replace a "new" nut on the axle, or replace the entire axle at $900+.

I inspected in myself and am very suspicious. Why in the hell is he taking off the axle nut for a lower ball joint replacement? Is there any OFFICIAL literature from Jeep that explains the procedure to replace them? And finally, I think he is going to tell me that he can't fix it and I have to buy a new axle. Suggestions?

I'm in the military, about to deploy, and have a pregnant wife. I don't have time for stealership games. If anyone can help out, I would appreciate it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
So I take my Liberty in to get the ball joints replaced and front end alignment done, because I just installed my Rusty's coil lift. Well, today I get a call saying that "someone" hammered in the axle on the drivers front, and made getting the axle nut back on impossible

He told me that I have two options...he can attempt to remove threads and replace a "new" nut on the axle, or replace the entire axle at $900+.

I inspected in myself and am very suspicious. Why in the hell is he taking off the axle nut for a lower ball joint replacement? Is there any OFFICIAL literature from Jeep that explains the procedure to replace them? And finally, I think he is going to tell me that he can't fix it and I have to buy a new axle. Suggestions?

I'm in the military, about to deploy, and have a pregnant wife. I don't have time for stealership games. If anyone can help out, I would appreciate it.
Well you do need to remove the knuckle to replace the LBJ's so yes you have to "remove" the axle nut and "PRESS" the cv shaft out of the hub NOT POUND IT OUT.What dumba&^'s,they should know better than to pound on the end of that shaft.They damaged it so they are responible for the cost and replacement.Since they took the nut off fine then the threads/shaft was not meesed up untill they pounded on it.Since you are in the military go to JAG and see what they say to do.Make them pay for a new CV shaft not just fixing the old one,it's unsafe.Sorry man that just *****,I had dealers that can't fess up to there own mistakes!

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ADDENDUM

He said that the previous owner replaced the ball joints with aftermarket MOOGS, and that since I put the lift kit on he doesn't have to put the ball joints in but he will anyway. However, he insists that since there were aftermarket ball joints on it, and that the axle appears to be hammered in, that he isn't liable. I cannot prove that he messed the axle up, but I do know that all the busted threads are nice and clean, no rust, dirt etc.... Mad

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
ADDENDUM

He said that the previous owner replaced the ball joints with aftermarket MOOGS, and that since I put the lift kit on he doesn't have to put the ball joints in but he will anyway. However, he insists that since there were aftermarket ball joints on it, and that the axle appears to be hammered in, that he isn't liable. I cannot prove that he messed the axle up, but I do know that all the busted threads are nice and clean, no rust, dirt etc.... Mad
That means he removed the nut,those threads if meesed up will rust real quick.He removed the nuts and pounded on the shaft then realized he messed up and is trying to cover it up so he doesn't have to pay for it.Take pics of the threads ASAP before they rust up,they will be leverage to prove your case.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Hold it. If you have MOOGS in there right now, you'd be MUCH better off with them than the Chrysler ball joints. Tell them thanks, but no thanks.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
Hold it. If you have MOOGS in there right now, you'd be MUCH better off with them than the Chrysler ball joints. Tell them thanks, but no thanks.

Yeah really, why the hell would you proceed with the recall if you did not have the affected LBJs?! Especially if you have MOOGs. Not to mention, why is he willing to replace them...

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too late they are toast. If I knew I was about to be had, I would have taken my camera and snapped a lot of pics. Ill be there first thing in the morning though. I don't see how I have a case though, he can refuse the whole replacement with new ones under the "lifted" clause.

btw he tossed the moogs (or put them in his pocket) either way, gone

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think so. I didnt realize that MOOGS were better, and they certainly didn't look worn out at all. If he were an honest man, he would have told me that MOOGS were better, and they they were not worn out, and that I didn't need to get them replaced. Either way, they are gone, and I'm pissed. I couldn't work in the auto business. Too many f<k/ng liars.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
I dont think so. I didnt realize that MOOGS were better, and they certainly didn't look worn out at all. If he were an honest man, he would have told me that MOOGS were better, and they they were not worn out, and that I didn't need to get them replaced. Either way, they are gone, and I'm pissed. I couldn't work in the auto business. Too many f<k/ng liars.
You can't check ball joints by just looking at them.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but I would think that he would take a look and at least suggest that I keep them if they are good

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
True, but I would think that he would take a look and at least suggest that I keep them if they are good
Nah, they're a dealership... they want as much $$$.¢¢ from DCX as possible.

*Note: I am not saying that the Moog ball joints are good. The issue is the actual suspension design...*

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
too late they are toast. If I knew I was about to be had, I would have taken my camera and snapped a lot of pics. Ill be there first thing in the morning though. I don't see how I have a case though, he can refuse the whole replacement with new ones under the "lifted" clause.

btw he tossed the moogs (or put them in his pocket) either way, gone
They can not deny doing a recall for a lift,they can't.Tell him you want it back and you'll put the nuts back on so they are forced to put MOOGs back on,they are better anyway since you can grease them.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, its a recall so they MUST do it no matter how much lift, mud, dents, dings, it doesnt matter. THEY MUST DO THE RECALL. O:)

Balljoints are usually destroyed when they are taken out, so they probably couldnt put the Moogs back in.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here are the pics, please eval and advise

You must be registered for see images

[/img]

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice clean hammer ding in the shaft. No rust, nothing. Hmm... I've beat the heck out of plenty of threads, and there's no way in HELL the previous owner did that, and then got the axle nut back on over it.

Guess they call them a "stealership" for a reason.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the part you are looking at on the axle is where he started grinding the threads off so that he could retry getting the nut on.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any hammer dings on it? Looks like they just got it cross threaded and screwed it all up. Hard to tell from the pics.

Members online

No members online now.