HELP! I cannot get the old spark plug out!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased AutoLite Double Platinum plugs and was going to replace the original ones. I have over 96,000 miles and I know that is too long too wait. I decided to start with the middle driver's side plug. Pulled the coil and got my socket over the plug with a 12" extension. Attached the ratchet but I cannot get the plug to budge. I put some pretty good pressure but nothing. Can I spray PBBlaster down there to try to loosen it up?

Once the first one I chose did this, I decided to ask before I messed something up.

Thanks,

George

tjkj0602

Reaction score
PB isn't going to hurt anything in the small amount you 're going to administer. I'd be more worried about that frozen spark plug.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
warm up the engine a bit, not at fully operating temperature but for few minutes (3-4 minutes) and got at it again. The cylinder heads are aluminum and the treads on the plug are steel, so careful not to cross thread it.

liv42dy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel and Alum are a bad combo when it comes to threads. I would do this spray a bit of blaster let it soak over night, then try again, reduce the extension on the wrachet you cant feel the preasure with a 12''. Do Not run the engine this will cause the steel plug to expand in the threads. If the plug comes loose work it out half way, get compressed air and blow out the opening, after that to make sure you gat everything out use a shop vac. It may sound like overkill but trust me you do not want to drop anything in the cylinder. not even small rust particles. good luck.

GKreamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used some SeaFoam DeepCreep spray. I was able to get the plugs out. The driver's side rear was the most difficult. Used some anti-seize on the new plugs and torqued them as close as I could given that I was using an extension with my torque wrench.

The plugs actually did not look to bad. I was expecting electrodes to be gone and such, but they were pretty clean- no oil or any blackish build-up, just kinda tan.

I don't think that I will wait another 96,560 miles ;-)

Started right up, ran a bit rough the first minute or so. I SeaFoamed the intake back in April and it smoked a lot, so I figured that the SeaFoam DeepCreep was basically the same stuff so it would not hurt the cylinders. It may have smoked a little, but I'm not sure since it is about 40* out when I finished...

Think that I'll drive it for the next few days just in case.

Thanks guys for your advise and support- I appreciate it!!

Latest posts

Members online