2006 Liberty fuel problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lesventure

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
This is my first post ever here, so I appreciate being a part of this forum, and hopeful for some sound advice.
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty. It is having problems starting, and I believe it is due to the gas tank being completely emptied, then gas added. At that point, the engine still worked fine. A day later, the engine was drained once again, and I found that someone had drilled a hole into my gas tank.
I don't have the finances to have my car at a shop at this time, so I acquired some JB weld waterproof formula, made sure the tank was dry, cleaned the area on the outside of the tank, sanded around the area, and applied the JB weld. Yes it is a temporary fix, but I had to make a choice and I was low on options.
I live on a ranch far from town. I was able to get together about a gallon and a half of gas and added it to my tank. I started up the engine, and I headed to town to get gas.
I was able to get about three miles from my home when the car began stuttering, and then it died. I coasted to the side, and had to call for help, because the car wouldn't turn over. When my help came, we put premium gas into the tank, I tried to start the car, and it finally turned over. I was able to get another mile and a half, and the jeep died again, and this time, It wouldn't start. It turned over until my battery died, and it wouldn't start. I had it towed back to the ranch, in hopes to be able to get a mobile mechanic to come assist at the ranch, to save the overhead of the shop mechanics.
After no call backs on the mobile mechanics, I started watching you-tube videos, and decided to purchase a battery and spark plugs, and a tool for removing the hose to check to see if the engine is getting fuel. The fuel pump is working, as I found out via checking the hose and starting the engine. I replaced the spark plugs. I starting my jeep again, and unless I spray fuel injector into it, the jeep doesn't want to start. And when it does pretend to, it sounds gargly and rough, What the **** is wrong with my jeep? I guess I have to take it to a mechanic, and allow them to gouge my entire bank account. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely your fuel pump just ate dirt. If someone drilled your tank, it probably only put more dirt in it. Take the module out of the tank and replace the sock or the whole module(they can be had cheap, but the sock isn't hard.). The injectors are the unwitting victims of this issue, since a large amount of trash can go all the way to the rail. Your symptoms are fuel starvation if you are adding fuel to the mix. If you are short on money an injector set can be had (chinese) for less than 50 online. A good set like bosch will be more like 180. In a pinch they can be flushed with a couple cans of cleaner, but I would honestly rather spend the 50 to know they would work rather than spend the time to pull them and find out you have bad o-rings and can't make it work anyway since they rip easy.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
This is my first post ever here, so I appreciate being a part of this forum, and hopeful for some sound advice.
I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty. It is having problems starting, and I believe it is due to the gas tank being completely emptied, then gas added. At that point, the engine still worked fine. A day later, the engine was drained once again, and I found that someone had drilled a hole into my gas tank.
I don't have the finances to have my car at a shop at this time, so I acquired some JB weld waterproof formula, made sure the tank was dry, cleaned the area on the outside of the tank, sanded around the area, and applied the JB weld. Yes it is a temporary fix, but I had to make a choice and I was low on options.
I live on a ranch far from town. I was able to get together about a gallon and a half of gas and added it to my tank. I started up the engine, and I headed to town to get gas.
I was able to get about three miles from my home when the car began stuttering, and then it died. I coasted to the side, and had to call for help, because the car wouldn't turn over. When my help came, we put premium gas into the tank, I tried to start the car, and it finally turned over. I was able to get another mile and a half, and the jeep died again, and this time, It wouldn't start. It turned over until my battery died, and it wouldn't start. I had it towed back to the ranch, in hopes to be able to get a mobile mechanic to come assist at the ranch, to save the overhead of the shop mechanics.
After no call backs on the mobile mechanics, I started watching you-tube videos, and decided to purchase a battery and spark plugs, and a tool for removing the hose to check to see if the engine is getting fuel. The fuel pump is working, as I found out via checking the hose and starting the engine. I replaced the spark plugs. I starting my jeep again, and unless I spray fuel injector into it, the jeep doesn't want to start. And when it does pretend to, it sounds gargly and rough, What the **** is wrong with my jeep? I guess I have to take it to a mechanic, and allow them to gouge my entire bank account. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Wow that really *****. People just can't leave other people and their belongings alone these days.

Latest posts

Members online