Help!!! Dealer wants $675 to repair Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wisco

Reaction score
Recently my ABS, Trac, ESP/BAP lights have been on in my '06 Liberty. This happened last summer too and I brought it in to have the wheel speed sensor replaced. I just got a call from them saying that the hub ring assembly is so corroded that they need to replace the entire Hub/Bearing, the ring assembly, and the sensor and that parts and labor before tax is $630.40.

My question is how much of this could I realistically do myself? I've done basic work on it before (Oil change, brake pads, spark plugs) and replaced the hubs on a trailer before, but don't know how detailed this all would be. If all it takes to replace the hub/bearings is simply removing and bolting on another, I feel I could manage that myself and if I have to have them do the sensor, so be it, but at least I would save a couple hundred.

Thanks for your help!

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like rockauto.com has the part for around $150-175 before shipping. I don't know about the labor involved, but maybe you could supply the part yourself and save some money there.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ehm...Gentlemen... why not search this marvellous site maybe in the 'how to' section??? :whip:
There is a nicely written 'step by step' thread about swapping an hub!
Also when it comes to water pumps, radiators and hubs, go Mopar, they come with a new
ABS sensor already fitted (the hubs), price is about 250 and You'll enjoy peace of mind!
IIRC 'strange' tools might include a 35mm,E-14 sockets plus maybe a slide hammer. :shrug:
Ooops...forgot... some bottles of 'operator fluid' ( i.e. beer :D ) too..