Help CV intermediate shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trippwire

Reaction score
My son has a 2004 Liberty, 3.7 liter, Frankenlift without UCA replacement. I recently replaced the front CV joint but not the intermediate shaft. Reassembled checking that it spun properly before installing the tire and taking for a test, everything sounded great during drive but I heard and felt a vibration, however it did not seem to be coming from the front CV joint. Just in case I went home and double-checked everything to make sure nothing was rubbing. I then found a tear in the front drive shaft boot coming from the transfer case. So I honestly believe that was what I felt. At this point I went ahead and ordered a new intermediate shaft after reading some of the forums about changing it with the CV joint. While reassembling the front end with new intermediate shaft it began to bind and would not spin when completely installed and tightened down. if I loosen the upper and lower ball joint it would spin freely like normal, but as soon as I tighten it down it binds and will not spin right. So it drove great and spun freely with new cv joint only after installing intermediate shaft it started to bind when fully assembled, but spins freely up until its tightened in place. I compared intermediate shafts side by side and they are the same. I did the same with cv joint but not while compressed and they looked the same. I used a new CV joint not a remanufactured one. And finally....we love this Libby and this forum, you guys have really taught me and my son alot over the last 6 months. Hopefull its something sime my ******** overlooked. Thanks for your time.

Jeff

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NEW CV from who?
If not MOPAR or NAPA could be the wrong length
Then did you use the CV that you used before or ??
Never replace a CV without intermediate shaft, the may have been some buggered up splines and messed the CV up.
Measure compressed length of both new and old CV
make sure intermediate shaft slides in and out easily

As far as torn boot on the rear CV of the driveshaft, easily and cheap to replace

trippwire

Reaction score
Yeah unfotunately after the original install, (before the intermediate shaft), had gone so smoothly and i was satisfied with how the CV joint operated I threw out the original. Another unfortunate event is that my napa store burned down recently, so i got the cv from another store nearby but it was from china. But before installing the new intermediate shaft the cv went in and seemed great, the other thing is that with both new parts installed it works as intended until i bolt things down tight then the cv joint nearest the intermediate shaft seems to bind. I just thought maybe i did something dumb, i guess at this point its parts related i just hate to start over, but I guess thats where I stand right now. Thanks for the input.