Help! Can't get my Liberty to start!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshy0077

Reaction score
Hi there folks...

Okay this has been a reoccuring problem for a little while and now it seems to have taken a major turn for the worse. For the longest time my liberty battery has has a ton of corrosion on the negative terminal clamp (not on the terminal itself)...I've always cleaned it after some time but it just kept coming back with a vengeance. Yesterday I could not get her to start...and I luckily was able to find someone to jump me. My baby ran fine all the way home (about an hour drive), but when I tried starting it up about an hour or so later, she was dead again. Today, I took the negative clamp off and scraped it clean, however, I still cannot get her to start. I bought a battery charger, charged it for about 3 hours, and still nothing. Tried the jump start feature on the charger...and still nothing. I ordered an Optima yellow-top Deep Cell battery ( assuming the battery was the problem, and becauseI run a pretty big mobile audio system in my libby), but I don't know if that is the problem any more. All the lights in the car seem to run decently, at least for a little while off the charger, but I don't understand why it wouldn't start with a jump. When I try to start her (especially with the jump) I get a lot of clicks, but no engine turnover. What can I do?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds like it is the battery. If you can get it going again, go to an autozone and have them test the alternator. The alternator is more than likely just fine, but atleast it rules out the possibility.

Gotta remember than it takes alot of juice to get an engine going....so while you may have enough to power your lights and radio and other creature comforts, it may not be enough to crank the engine. I've seen several batteries go dead in the past to the point where you could jump them and get the engine running just fine, but the minute you shut the engine off they'd go flat.....bad cells in the battery.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
If you can get it going again, go to an autozone and have them test the alternator.

They can also test your battery for you.
You should really go to one, its free to get tested.

joshy0077

Reaction score
The only problem is I still can't get her started (Aeh) Also, can anyone tell me if it's possible to buy a new clamp (at let's say Autozone?) and install it easily to replace my nasty negative one? I was looking at them today...but the clamps on the libby have a 90* bend in them, and I don't see where the wire/clamp meet, and it seems the ones you can buy at Autozone simply have a clamp that bolts down on the back that secures the wire. Not sure if it was a simple procedure to replace one of these or not.

I appreciate all the help!

2003KJ

Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
2003KJ said:
If you can get it going again, go to an autozone and have them test the alternator.

They can also test your battery for you.
You should really go to one, its free to get tested.

yes, but it doesn't do you any good if you can't get it going to get down there does it?

I don't think you can replace just the terminal on the negative cable....i mean you probably can, but you're right, the KJ has a odd ball terminal compared to most (which means it's probably a dealer only item). I'd compare the price of just replacing the entire cable vs. say ordering just the terminal.

And for the record, I just cleaned my terminals for the first time in 3.5 years a couple of weeks ago. If you can get to the auto parts store (I went to autozone), pick up a spray can of battery terminal cleaner (they'll know what you're talking about). What you do is disconnect both terminals of the battery, spray them and the battery posts, let it sit for a couple of minutes and then hose them off with water. Repeat untill they're clean (Mine took several applications). It was to the point where I could tell a difference in how the engine started on my jeep.

Also, take a trip to your local Northern Tool and Equipment or Tractor Supply Company or some store of that nature. Pick up a battery terminal and post cleaner. It should come in a "T" shaped design and has slots that you insert the battery posts on, and it scrapes off a fine layer of the metal on the posts. you also take the other two ends and put it in the holes on the terminals and it will scrape away a fine layer in those. This makes for much better connections on the terminals and the battery posts. This part costs all of $2, and there are separate Positive and Negative sides to it for the posts, and looks like the part below:

You must be registered for see images

Also, while surfing on Northern's website, i stumbled upon this not sure if that would help you any.

Definately look into getting the supplies that I mentioned above. I got 5 years off my OEM battery in my last vehicle by doing the above maintanence on a need be basis. The only reason i neglected the battery in the KJ is lack of time. Once I noticed a difference in the starting, I made a point to do it, and now it sounds alot better. I'll probably end up replcaing the battery once this winter is over, just because from what i've been reading, i don't have too much more confidence in it. Seeing that my KJ stays in a garage over night, it's not really exposed to the extreme cold temps that we can get in the south, so i'm pretty sure it will make it though this winter.

joshy0077

Reaction score
Also, while surfing on Northern's website, i stumbled upon this not sure if that would help you any.

I actually saw that exact part at Advance Autoparts, I almost bought it too, but like I said if you look at the back of it (the left side of the picture) it has two bolts and a clamp that would connect it to the wire...I wish I knew more about this stuff I would have bought it =P~