Hello fellow KJ owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry Guy

Reaction score
My name is Ryan and I just recently purchased a 2004 Libby 4x4 with the 3.7L off of my grandmother. Sadly my grandfather passed away about 6 months ago and this was his vehicle...he LOVED Jeeps. He always wanted a wrangler but settled with this Libby as it was the most practical at the time.

You must be registered for see images

First thing I did to it was get tint, as I like my privacy.

Second thing I did was baptize it in some nice southern mud holes.

I was actually VERY impressed with what these are capable of. I underestimated these big time. But then I got a little too cocky with it and tried a little bit of a deeper hole....

My buddy tried pulling it out with his Xterra but unfortunately the cross-member was hung up on the high center pretty good and I had nothing to hook it to in the rear. (Gotta love how tow hooks were an option on the Libs. No, mine doesn't have them.)

The hardest part was trying to find a spot to put the strap around. With me practically laying down in the puddle and him on top of the engine bay, we were able to squeeze it in around the front-most support (the one the steering is bolted to) but that was a big pain in the ass. After several attempts of him trying to pull me out, we gave up and sat around thinking... I was going to go get one of our HMMWV's from work to try something with a little more torque but right at that moment, a bunch of special forces' guys that were screwing around on the trails in rhinos and atvs rolled up and offered us a hand. They had pullies and nylon rope. We hooked to an anchor (tree), the pulley attached to the load (Libby), and then to a power source (the xterra), and tried again. The xterra at about 1200 rpms pulled it out slow and steady without even trying. Special Forces is good for more than just being badass killers and what not, they were all very knowledgeable in off roading and very friendly. We all chatted a bit and after about 3 hours of being stuck, I was on my way again.

The pictures I posted are the only ones I took unfortunately. I wish I had some of the 14 guys standing around the Libby chatting. One guy specifically said "You bought the wrong Jeep." And all I did was laugh.

And yes, I am in the Army. I am airborne infantry (M249 SAW gunner) and I am currently stationed in Fort Bragg, NC.

Last edited:

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome, great pictures. How many miles are on your KJ?. Are you planning to do any mods to it, maybe like the Xterra in the photo?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Nice baptism of your KJ.

You need hooks and skids asap.

Dave

Ry Guy

Reaction score
Welcome, great pictures. How many miles are on your KJ?. Are you planning to do any mods to it, maybe like the Xterra in the photo?

Thanks, it currently has 95k miles, all pretty much babied as my grandfather used it only as a traveling salesman. And I originally planned on trading it in but after having it a couple weeks now and looking around on here, I have decided to keep it and indeed put some money into it. First thing would be a decent set of mud tires as the street tires on it now are like ski's on mud. I'd like to see a lift, steel bumper, new rims/tires, tow hooks, skid plates, and little touches here and there like fogs and roof rack within the next year. But I have to make sure I can do it financially obviously.

Welcome to the forum. Nice baptism of your KJ.

You need hooks and skids asap.

Dave

Thanks and you're completely right about hooks and skid plates, those are now top of my list on what I need to buy. I can't believe without a tow hook in the back, there's absolutely nothing to get a strap around.

Last edited:

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about a Reese hitch for the rear. I installed hitches on both of our Libertys.

Ry Guy

Reaction score
Welcome From Beautiful British Columbia, Canada.

From another Ryan who also goes by Ry'!

Cheers
Ry'

Best name in the world. :)

What about a Reese hitch for the rear. I installed hitches on both of our Libertys.

I didn't realize how cheap it was to just buy a whole hitch for the rear. That's now on my list to buy. How much of a load can the 3.7 handle? Is it just direct bolt on?

welcome from another NC KJ!

Thanks! You're only about an hour away too, we might have to meet up sometime and hit up some trails

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the hitch is a bolt on, 6 bolts, 3 in each side the holes are already there. I personally dont pull more than 2000 lbs with mine. Wiring plugs into factory harness, you do have to remove the tail lights .

RenegadeBullitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize how cheap it was to just buy a whole hitch for the rear. That's now on my list to buy. How much of a load can the 3.7 handle? Is it just direct bolt on?

Thanks! You're only about an hour away too, we might have to meet up sometime and hit up some trails
Sounds like a plan. :party52:. A hitch was the first thing I bought for my truck. Only took about an hour to put on with the brother in law helping.

Ry Guy

Reaction score
Yes, the hitch is a bolt on, 6 bolts, 3 in each side the holes are already there. I personally dont pull more than 2000 lbs with mine. Wiring plugs into factory harness, you do have to remove the tail lights .

Too easy. I can't see myself ever pulling too much either, maybe wood on a small trailer or a little uhaul.

Sounds like a plan. :party52:. A hitch was the first thing I bought for my truck. Only took about an hour to put on with the brother in law helping.

Nice, doesn't sound like a difficult project at all. And we'll have to see if maybe there's something between my location and yours that we could meet up with more people and hit up some trails. I will definitely need a few upgrades before I do anything serious though. TIRES are much needed because these street AT tires are crap in mud haha