Heavier brake dust on one side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front passenger wheel has noticeably higher brake dust buildup than the driver's side. The Jeep doesn't pull either with or without braking. Both rotors and pads were replaced at the same time with identical brand & models. It's only on the front, not rear. Ideas?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a lot of things, most are mundane, especially if it doesn't pull when braking. Possibly you drive through more puddles with the driver's side. Or it could be that the passenger side wheels are more scuffed than the driver's side, letting the dust stick better.

If the pads on both sides show equal wear, I wouldn't worry about it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if it does not pull the caliper could be hanging up just a small amount on that side causing more wear. Like mentioned check both sides and see if there is a noticeable difference or not in wear

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive sorta been fighting this for well over a year on my liberty. The passenger side rim ways has more brake dust than the drivers side.

Started out making sure the piston would easily push back in. It did. Replaced the rubber boots and removed the rubber sleeve, check. Repleced the brake hose. Done. Replaced the caliper with a napa assembly. Check.

Im not too worried about it really. Im starting to think I should replace the drivers side hose and caliper w/bracket to see if, for some reason, the drivers side isnt braking like it should.

My brothers xj is doing the same and its all been replaced like my kj.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you noticing this only in dry weather, or after driving in rain & snow as well? If nothing with the brakes is hanging up, the passenger side appearing as having more dust might actually be due to the drivers side having less by getting water/snow sprayed on the wheels from on-coming vehicles, washing some of the dust off.