Heat does not work!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sblend

Reaction score
Been having trouble with heater not working on our 2008 Jeep Liberty.
Used to work slightly. Now, it does not work at all.
Checked radiator fluid and it is fine.
The two hoses going to and from heater core are both warm when vehicle has been used.
When switching from cold to warm and warm to cold, you can hear it changing and the air blows, but it's cold air.
Could it be a fuse or the heater core ?
How would I know?
I'm just curious if anyone has any expertise with the same problem I am having ?
Thanks!

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the temp actuator on the hvac controls, could be a clogged heater core, or a stuck open thermostat. Get a pressure test kit and see if it holds. If it holds, flush the heater core with LOW running water. Hook a hose up to both ends on the fire wall. Top one to your house and bottom to a bucket. Flush it until both hoses are clear

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sblend

Reaction score
Could be the temp actuator on the hvac controls, could be a clogged heater core, or a stuck open thermostat. Get a pressure test kit and see if it holds. If it holds, flush the heater core with LOW running water. Hook a hose up to both ends on the fire wall. Top one to your house and bottom to a bucket. Flush it until both hoses are clear

As far as flushing the heater core, do you have any advice for disconnecting the hoses at the firewall? I took the clamps off one day and tried pulling them off but could not get them off - felt like I was going to bend the tubes they are connected to. Should I cut them off?

Thanks!

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a pair of pliers (don't clamp down hard) just hard enough to move the hoses back and forth and walk them off with a flathead screwdriver

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. Could be the temperature actuator.

grunt3327

Reaction score
I had this issue with mine. I heard a clicking noise coming from the left side of where the radio console is at. It was just blowing cold air. The hoses were hot to the touch and radiator fluid was normal. I was thinking blend door actuator. So went to the auto store and bought one, was roughly $36. I tried researching on how to do it and came empty.

So went to the dealer and had them take a look. I told them if they have to take apart the console to replace the actuator. Well they did and they also said that the heater core was bad. Well i didn't believe them and at the cost of $1800 to replace the heater core I decided against it. They told me just warm air was blowing.

Well I took my vehicle back, paid the $120 for them to "look" at it/diagnosis it and drove it around. Well, to my surprise it was blowing out HOT air and it was working. Sorry for long post, but wanted to let you know what I went through and hope this helps.

TJMagoo

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I literally just had the same issue. I flushed the core, water was clean coming out. Put some CLR in the core, let it sit, flushed it again and now I have heat!!!