headlights not working and......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my headlights decided not to work anymore. The brights only work if I hold the switch/toggle back. Foglights are working fine. If I turn the lights from the on position to off quicky, the marker light remain on? Also, an older issue, I get a tailgate open alert and the inside lights flash on and off while braking. Wait, not done yet! Door lock also dont work from the inside, also an older issue. If anyone could guide me in the right direction, that would be great.

keeponjeepin

Reaction score
It's not the multi-function switch, it's the BCM located on the backside of the fuse box - under drivers side of dash. It may need to be re-flashed. You maybe able to swap one with the same year/trim package. Chrysler gets $600-800 for new ones without the flash.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the multi-function switch, it's the BCM located on the backside of the fuse box - under drivers side of dash. It may need to be re-flashed. You maybe able to swap one with the same year/trim package. Chrysler gets $600-800 for new ones without the flash.
99.9% of all light issues like no headlights or interior lights flickering on when you hit a bump is the result of a bad multifuction switch.The power and grounds run through the BCM but the multifuction switch controls it all and it's extremely rare for a solid state parts of the BCM to go bad,it can happen but mostly due to getting wet or massive overload.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two weeks short of two years, and Im finally gunna fix this headlight headache. Looks like its the BCM. I've been smacking the kick panel on the driver side in order to make the lights work when driving at night. I replaced the MFS and the problem persist. My question is, does the replacement BCM need to match my trim exactly and need flashed? And if it does, is there a way I can tell if its the right part by looking at it, like a part number or serial number? And last, can anyone send me in the right direction for replacement part other than ebay/dealer? Thanks

PS. Problems all went away on there own except the driving lights. Doors locks, tailgate chime, bright lights, weird flashing interior lights all seem normal now.(dunno)(dunno)

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random but have you replaced the battery since then? If you have a crappy/cheap battery you might experience issues.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Random but have you replaced the battery since then? If you have a crappy/cheap battery you might experience issues.

yeah I have. Just the regular driving lights don't work. I smack the lower dash to the left of steering wheel, and they work...until I hit a big bump or turn the lights off.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I have. Just the regular driving lights don't work. I smack the lower dash to the left of steering wheel, and they work...until I hit a big bump or turn the lights off.

The interior fuse panel (Junction Panel) has the BCM mounted on the rear.

This panel also has the relay on the front for the Headlamps and has relays on the rear for other things...one of these relays is for Low beams.

You could have a sticking High beam or Low beam relay that works when you give it a good kick or go over a bump.

Could also be the Multifunction Switch for light problems as stated above.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interior fuse panel (Junction Panel) has the BCM mounted on the rear.

This panel also has the relay on the front for the Headlamps and has relays on the rear for other things...one of these relays is for Low beams.

You could have a sticking High beam or Low beam relay that works when you give it a good kick or go over a bump.

Could also be the Multifunction Switch for light problems as stated above.

Thanks, ill look into it.