Headlight switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed when I park my lib and turn if off with the key still in the ignition and I turn the lights to the off position the headlights come back on. I can turn it to interior lights and back off and the lights go off. I tried this without the key in and it doesn't happen, also tried putting the key in without turning on and does not happen. Is this a reminder feature that the key is still in the ignition after turning the jeep off. I can't find anything in the owners manual about this. Does anybodys else do this or do I have a switch going bad. Any thoughs or comments welcome.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed when I park my lib and turn if off with the key still in the ignition and I turn the lights to the off position the headlights come back on. I can turn it to interior lights and back off and the lights go off. I tried this without the key in and it doesn't happen, also tried putting the key in without turning on and does not happen. Is this a reminder feature that the key is still in the ignition after turning the jeep off. I can't find anything in the owners manual about this. Does anybodys else do this or do I have a switch going bad. Any thoughs or comments welcome.
They all do that,really annoying,the lights will turn themself off after like 30-90 seconds.

mikes07kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was afraid I had a switch going bad. I would hate to get up and find a dead battery cause of the lights being on. I had a thunderbird and after you would get out and shut the door the interior lights would go off then come back on after about 1 min then back off all day long. I had to disconnect the battery till I replaced the switch.:mad:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

It's a safety/courtesy feature so that when you pull into your driveway at night your headlights illuminate the immediate area like the path way to your homes door so you can see if anybody is lurking/ unlock your door and let yourself in.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I turned that feature off in the Evic along time ago. Also, incase no one has noticed, the kj will turn headlights and any interior lights off after ~8mins if you leave them on, no more dead batteries.

In my case, a bad dimmer switch turns the inside lights on many times and runs the battery down. They still turn off after 8min but they come back on after that.

wingnuts

Reaction score
I thought I had a problem with this and would just turn my lights back on and then off again just as Bashgod does. So I don't need to do this now, good to know

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can turn mine off with the EVIC but haven't yet I do use it occasionally. You can also avoid them coming back on if you turn the lights off before switching the vehicle off. That works on my KJ anyway. I am in the habit of turning the lights off before I turn the vehicle off. I didn't even know it had courtesy headlights for a month or two after buying it.lol

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it, sometimes I need some extra light on my way to a dark area like in the garage or somewhere else, so I just turn on the headlights before I stop (in the garage) and then shut the engine, then turn them off (they stay on..) I go home, they turn off. :) Nice feature.

I have another pet peeve, blinking fogs after signal stalk clicks back into place following a turn. I hate that thing, makes me think the driver in front me will think I am winking.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you turn your lights off BEFORE you turn off the engine, this wont happen, or at least mine works that way.