Head gasket blown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brokendown

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to say hi to the forum. I have an 03 3.7 with 150000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago my wife noticed a funny smell when she stopped at red lights or when she drove and then parked the smell would hang around for about 5-10 minutes. Yesterday I replaced the TPS and seafoamed it. After everything was done and over with I went around the front to close the hood and shut it off. As soon as I got to the front the coolant tank start to boil over so I ran in and shut it off. After being off the tank boiled for a couple of minutes and then just stopped out of the blew and seemed normal again. So I went to napa and got new coolant, thermostat, and cap for the tank. Replaced them, everything was good, for about 20 minutes. I let it idol while I chatted with my neighbor and after about 10 minutes I noticed the engine temp was starting to VERY slowly creep up again. I ran home shit it off and continued to bleed the coolant system once it was cooled back down. Now the bleed screw is basically welded into place and I cant get it to move. Any other ways to bleed these systems? Another thing I forgot to add is that there is no heat coming from the vents unless you are about 2000 or so RPMs. Should I be looking at a head gasket, waterpump, heater core.......? Sorry for the super long intro.

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May just be thermostat since you dont have heat. Feel the upper and lower rad hoses, is one hot and cold? If so replace thermostat. You could also have the coolant tested for exhaust gas. If the coolant (in the bottle) has exhaust gas in it, head gasket is blown. Either way if the system is not under pressure as it should be (leak or air in system) the coolant will boil. You already tackled the tank cap. So next step is check the hoses to make sure both should be warm when engine is at temp, and do an exhaust gas test in coolant.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

brokendown

Reaction score
I changed the thermostat out yesterday with the issue still happening. I think I'm going to have to take it to a shop.. just dont have a lot of $$$ laying around. The oil is still perfectly clean though so I am at a loss of it being the headgasket.. The e-fan isnt really kicking in at all... should I look at getting a new fan or relay switch?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the electric fan isn't coming on when it's getting hot, there's an issue right there that needs addressed ASAP. If you haven't taken out a headgasket, you will if that isn't working.

brokendown

Reaction score
Ill be replacing the fan relay today and if that doesnt work then I guess I'll be doing the head gasket.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be replacing the fan relay today and if that doesnt work then I guess I'll be doing the head gasket.

Blown headgaskets don't make a cooling fan not work. See if the fan is getting power to run when it gets hot. If not, then you likely need the fan control relay. Fans are also known for going bad on these. Get the cooling system problems fixed, then see if you have an overheat issue still.

brokendown

Reaction score
Blown headgaskets don't make a cooling fan not work. See if the fan is getting power to run when it gets hot. If not, then you likely need the fan control relay. Fans are also known for going bad on these. Get the cooling system problems fixed, then see if you have an overheat issue still.

haha yes I see I worded that funny.. I know the don't the head gasket doesnt have much to do with the fan I was more thinking that the headgasket blew because the fan isnt working. I have read a lot that these heads warp pretty easily when the gaskets go. That is my biggest concern, I dont want to have to do that much work tonight.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photobucket, etc for posting videos or pics I think. If any luck, you're only looking at the cooling fan issue. However, the heads are known for warping. Could be the BMW next to my box right now, overheated once, head may be no good. Customer received one estimate from a rival, $8k, lol.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should look at replacing the water pump because if it is not working you will have a overheating problem, also make sure to check to see if your heater hoses are blocked and if they are just go ahead and replace them, also your system is self burping well at least on my 2004. if your head gasket went you would be smelling burning oil when you start up the truck also look to see if there is evidence of oil on the sides of the engine. if would also be as good idea to replace the radiator hoses and clamps as well as the heater hoses and your water pump.