HDD integration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ride4lamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock radio with the in dash 6 dsic changer. I like the way a stock radio looks and love the steering wheel controls.

Does anyone know if they (mopar or anyone for that matter) make an adapter to hook up a 2.5" HD to the stock radio via USB cable. I have an 80gig hard drive with all my music on it and was trying to figure out if it is possible to hook it up to the stock radio, sort of like the ipod integration kits, without having to buy an aftermarket radio.

Thanks

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know the answer, or anything about that unit, but have you pulled the unit to check and see if it has aux rca jacks in the back? sounds too easy, but some do, some dont, just a thought

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not possible at all. USB interface will not just magically work out of the 6CD changer. CD changer does not feed data, but just reads CDs in music format. Forget about this, just head over to crutchfield and do what I did. Get $200 (or now as low as $100) head unit with USB input, slap a hard drive to the USB input and you are in business.

You want to keep the steering wheel controls? You can get SWI-X adapter and retain those controls. If your new head unit has "Wired Remote Control" jack, like most Kenwoods do, you can wire it directly with no interference.

ride4lamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info...might haveto do that...it might be cheaper than getting the IPOD interface, especially since I would have to upgrade to higher capacity ipod to hold all the music.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
399 sounds ok, but it is refurbished, do your comparison.
Also remember to check www.crutchfield.com
once you put your model, make and year, it will list stuff, and if you buy from there, they will check the model/make/year and include bunch of stuff free of charge like adapters, harness, face plate brackets, etc..

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the Crutchfield. Great company to work with. Ensured that I had received everything and they even helped me with some trouble shooting at 9:30 on a Saturday night. Oh, and their online support is a lot of help too.

ride4lamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i did the seaching through them then I found the refudrb on a different site. Crutchfield offers the same thing for 699 I belive, and they said it would fit the liberty.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, keep us posted.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know for sure if this would support a HD, but check out this post about the stereo I'm installing.

Best of luck-

-Blu

ride4lamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...decided not to go with the one I was looking at...I realized that with the screen up it would be right in front of the center vents. With living in MA and having to use the heat a good chuck of the year...i couldnt see that being anythign but bad for the screen.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, just get a good old head unit with USB input.

Latest posts

Members online