Having trouble diagnosing groany sound.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slagree92

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I apologize if this has been brought up before in the forums, but I could not find any threads covering this.

For about a week now my 2003 3.7 has been making a whining/groan from the front end of the car. At first I thought I was just low on power steering fluid. I checked the fluid level and it was fine. it does it at an idle and speeds up with acceleration. with the hood popped it sounds more like a sandpaper to sandpaper sound but no squealing. The power steering feels fine and the sound seems to get worse as I drive around for 10+ minutes. every now and again it will almost completely go away then comes back again.

Could it be that my power steering pump is just slowly going bad or could it be and alternator whine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
PS fluid old dirty? Have you ever suctioned out the old power steering fluid and put new ATF+4 in the PS reservoir?
For accessories like alternator the belt tensioner etc...take the belt off and spin them by hand & check for tightness or any rattles etc.
A mechanics stethoscope can help pinpoint running noise locations much easier.

03jeeplibby

Reaction score
I cant post anything why?? Im new here. Any help?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk