Has anyone installed an EVIC (not OTIS) in a 2002 KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ohaness

Reaction score
I found and installed an OTIS in my 2002 KJ. Looks great, does all its supposed to. It came out of a 2002 KJ Limited in perfect like new condition so I was assured of no compatibility problems. Thanks to all for the installation tips, they were a great help for a clean and quick install!

My question is has anyone installed an EVIC style in a 2002 and able to use the additional functionality of the EVIC? Not sure when it changed but the 2002 had door or liftgate ajar/open messages in the odometer area so those messages on the EVIC would be redundant. Anyway, I think I've seen one written up going into a 2003. Not sure if they used the EVIC style starting in 2003 or 2004 (I was able to see an 04 owners manual and it looks like they installed the EVIC that year not the OTIS).

Anyway I'm playing with the notion of swapping the display only if I run across one and the price is right and it gives me more flexibility. Otherwise I'm a happy camper.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 did have an EVIC as I had one (2003 unit) in my 2007 for a while.

I think 2002 did as well, because the 2002's had instant mpg (if I remember correctly). My 2003 didn't have the instant mpg.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed an EVIC (56042756AG) in my 2002 Limited. I added the temperature sensor up front and five TPMS sensors and everything works as expected. My EVIC came from a junked Chrysler 300M.

Most of the functions work correctly, but I am unable to do the key-fob changes to things like door locks (all-at-once, with blinkers, with horn, etc.) through the EVIC menus.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 did have an EVIC as I had one (2003 unit) in my 2007 for a while.

I think 2002 did as well, because the 2002's had instant mpg (if I remember correctly). My 2003 didn't have the instant mpg.

My 2003 has instant MPG, not sure why they say that was removed as mine does and a few others who installed EVIC's in their 2003's do as well.

My EVIC came out of a 2001 Grand Cherokee and works great, all functions work, door ajar display and messages, you name it. Was also able to change keyless entry features, headlight time setting, reset trip odometer from it, you name it and it works.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 has instant MPG, not sure why they say that was removed as mine does and a few others who installed EVIC's in their 2003's do as well.

My EVIC came out of a 2001 Grand Cherokee and works great, all functions work, door ajar display and messages, you name it. Was also able to change keyless entry features, headlight time setting, reset trip odometer from it, you name it and it works.

My 2003 EVIC did not have instant MPG. Came out of a wrecked 2003 KJ - I pulled it myself.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why, you have a 2003 EVIC. But if you put in an EVIC from an earlier model year then you get it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, i thought you were talking model year of the KJ, not the model year of the actual EVIC. We were on the same brain wave but different digital channels... LOL

ohaness

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. Looks like bertard did install one in a 02 and is working correctly.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i installed an EVIC into my 02 and everything with the "step" button will work perfectly. but when it comes to the menu and the messages........your out of luck. the only good the menu button will do for you is changing the sevice distance and the language. also, depending on what it came from, you might get some of the messages like low fuel and doors open. mines from a GC and it will only tell me when the swing gate is open