Hard Waterspots on PAINT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I wash the hell outta my Jeep, it looks great! But then I look closer, and across the hood I can see what appear to be water spots! They won't come off! Ok so what do I need to do to get these off? Thanks in advance. Oh, and what causes them?

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well if water has sat on the paint to long, it may have etched into the clear coat. The only real way to try and remove them is to strip all the wax off, and then try and polish them out, if polish won't work then it may have to be wet sanded.

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn i forgot the name of what i used on my old wrangler... Ill have to go look in the garage, and find the little box of stuff i used...

Ummm it was like a wax, yet if you used to much it could strip your paint off????? Someone help me out here!!!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
a bit late but, how about filtering your water and avoiding spots altogether

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
I use clay bar...clay bar takes off just about anything.

I never used a clay bar. So it will take out water spots then. Does it take off the clearcoat? So you use it after a wash, and then wax the Jeep afterwards? Then no more water spots.

Dave

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clay bar doesn't hurt clearcoat...it's as safe as it comes. Clay bar is used to take off paint overspray, bird crap stains (just did one 10 minutes ago on the Charger), sap stains, you name it. And it does take off hard water stains, too. Of course I also use the Meguiar's that comes with a bottle of Meguiar's quick detailer spray, which may also contribute. And might I add that I love the smell of Meguiar's Quick Detailer Spray. I could use it as a bathroom spray.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Clay bar doesn't hurt clearcoat...it's as safe as it comes. Clay bar is used to take off paint overspray, bird crap stains (just did one 10 minutes ago on the Charger), sap stains, you name it. And it does take off hard water stains, too. Of course I also use the Meguiar's that comes with a bottle of Meguiar's quick detailer spray, which may also contribute. And might I add that I love the smell of Meguiar's Quick Detailer Spray. I could use it as a bathroom spray.

Thanks. It looks like I'll have to put a clay bar on my list of things to get.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
hyedipin said:
a bit late but, how about filtering your water and avoiding spots altogether
Water filtering doesn't work for rain...

she was talking about washing. And I have never had water spots on my jeep after any kind of rain, if the jeep was already clean. If there is a trace bit of dirt or dust, it becomes a map, and that generally doesn't get stuck like mineral/bleach from the city water.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bar of Clay. It may have certain compounds in it that might vary it from basic clay, but it is clay. Mine came with a spray to help the clay move smoothly across the paint. It works great! I had such a roughness when I rubbed my hand over the paint after I had handwashed really good. I used the claybar and after using it, I rubbed my hand over the rough paint and it was smoooooooth!!! Then I waxed it good!

For those having used claybar for awhile:

How many times can you use a single claybar? Mine looked pretty beat up after one use.