Hard shifting...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

victorian

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Our 2004 Liby (208.000km) is sometimes shifting very hard from first to second gear. Doesn't matter if engine is hot or cold, there is no pattern.... Transmission oil looks clean and at the correct level. 20.000km ago, the owner before us had the trans overhauled for more than $4000.

Any idea? I'm thinking of getting a shop to check it out, but who knows you guys may have a simple answer :)

Thanks!
A

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Jeep thing. My 99 WJ did it too and took it to the dealer, they said it was a Jeep thing. Years later, KJ does the same. WK has it too. Never have had any trans probs!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it every once in a while. It's a bit of a clumsy transmission. If it's doing it VERY often, you can go to the dealer or reputable transmission shop and pay for a transmission relearn.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that valve bodies & such do accumulate varnish from heat etc over time.
Try adding a half to 3/4 of a can of Seafoam TransTune.
Trans Tune - Sea Foam Sales Company
You will probably notice improved shifting after about 200 miles of driving.
The other thing is to keep the throttle body clean /Iac and new spark plugs every 25K.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I just want to mention that the Correct fluid for the KJ is ATF+4. If you ever get a transmission light on, that means a code may be stored or even if the light came on temporarily, that that fluid got real hot and friction modifiers are weakened. That is where new ATF+4 should be considered. I service the KJ transmission every 40 K miles.
I also have a PML 1.5 quart over stock pan that has a drain plug. This allows me to change the fluid without having to drop the pan in-between servicing! You can have a drain plug welded onto a stock pan,, but I went 1.5 over stock to keep fluid cooler.
It would be good to have a trans shop just to scan the KJ for ****** codes etc, and post them if any are found back in here.
I would try the seafoam Trans Tune for 500+ miles and then then service the transmission with new filter,fluid, and look for particles in the pan.
Then u also know that ATF+4 was used and if there are particles present indicating clutch or other wear.

Latest posts

Members online