Had to Jump the Jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in the air but due to the cold weather. This is the first time in the 5 years (since its birth) that I had to slam some jumper cables on it. I'm probably going to look into getting a new battery (Red Top? Any Suggestions?).

Anywho keep warm to those who are in the cold weather. It went negative degrees overnight and I'm sure this was the first time in a very long time that it was cold like this. Should have put the Jeep in the garage but was not really thinking how cold it really was getting.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh heck, Ive jumped my Jeep some 3 odd times now.

Ive got the optima and while its a good battery, its not done anything really special yet. Its just a little over 3 years old and Ive killed it 2-3 times. Some people say once they run their red top totally down they can never get it to take charge again but mine seems to be ok.

When I open the hood it looks really cool but other than that I cant say its the battery of all batteries yet. Wont be able to tell till a couple more years. If it lasts more than 5 years then its ok.

Also, those things have really went up in $$ since I got mine. Last one we bought was a little over $150. Mine was only $100 when we got it back in 05.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh darn I was expecting pics of big air from a snowjump. :D

You're right, it hasn't been this cold in years. I guess we're finally back to normal Michigan weather because for the last 3 or so winters, it's been really warm.

Griemster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a red top in both my present cars and ive always had them ever since my first car and i have never had to have a jump before. Even with my wife not shutting her doors al the way and leaving the dome light on my cars have always started.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I have an original battery so an upgrade is required coming up (been just about 5 years in Feb). I'll check the pricing for Optima.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In mid march '02 I put in a group 34 Optima RedTop in my KJ(2 weeks after buying my KJ) and it never needed a jump,even after sitting a total of 2 years in storage(2 seperate 1 year deployments),the 1st deployment the battery was not unhooked and both times my KJ fired right up after the long storage.In april of '06 I swapped in a YellowTop(due to adding winch) and gave the RedTop to my father and it is still in use after almost 7 years and still had yet to need a jump.My YellowTop has been flawless also,even after blasting my stereo(two 10" subs and 750watt amp) for up to 2 hours without the KJ running and winching duty it has never failed me.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh, guess I should say its been jumped since the Jeep drains the battery when its mad at me.. Its not a problem with the battery. Need to fix that..

The engine was 16F this morning when I started it and it fired right up. Power steering pump gave a YELP though.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was up at Snoqualmie pass this weekend snowboarding. They were clocking -2f. Started right up when we were done. Can't remember the battery I've got. Definitely not an Optima.

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to boost two guys so far this winter. Last winter it was only a couple all winter. Usually two or three a winter it seems like. It's usually OE batteries just gone past their shelf date.....
We had -39 the other night and my KJ started. Coldest temp I've started with this current battery is -45.
Course, the other night when it was so dang chilly, what had to happen? Yup, a big old fire. Firemen got to make ice sculptures on a huge machinery shed......millions of $ damage.....can you imagine what a fireman has to go through when it's -40? Hats off to them, big time, and a big thank you for being there. :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, you guys are making me nervous about my POS OEM battery I still got in my jeep since the day it was born. But even in this cold weather, it has been firing the KJ right up first time, every time with no problems. And I have been using the heated seats, lights, heater, radio, and everything elce I can turn on at the same time. Once in a while, I even use the brakes........:D

Dave

tdamocles

Reaction score
ahh heck, Ive jumped my Jeep some 3 odd times now.

Ive got the optima and while its a good battery, its not done anything really special yet. Its just a little over 3 years old and Ive killed it 2-3 times. Some people say once they run their red top totally down they can never get it to take charge again but mine seems to be ok.

When I open the hood it looks really cool but other than that I cant say its the battery of all batteries yet. Wont be able to tell till a couple more years. If it lasts more than 5 years then its ok.

Also, those things have really went up in $$ since I got mine. Last one we bought was a little over $150. Mine was only $100 when we got it back in 05.

I really don't think these Optimas are worth the $. They are almost double the price and really don't perform much better. They are suppose to have a longer shelf life and a few more CCAs but is it worth it? I work at an Interstate Dealer and would not recommend one. I've seen too many junk Optimas that are no older than regular lead/acid batteries. Save your money on other mods. Even my boss (franchise owner) wouldn't be caught with one under his hood.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think these Optimas are worth the $. They are almost double the price and really don't perform much better. They are suppose to have a longer shelf life and a few more CCAs but is it worth it? I work at an Interstate Dealer and would not recommend one. I've seen too many junk Optimas that are no older than regular lead/acid batteries. Save your money on other mods. Even my boss (franchise owner) wouldn't be caught with one under his hood.

Yea, but you work for Interstate and they are a big battery mfg.

But still the Optima are 2x the price, so they should be 2x as good. I have never tried one personally so I don't know.

At the price they are, they should be able to make you a sandwich too.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you really don't know jack do ya?Optimas are not 2x the price,unless you get those junk batteries(neverstart and Advance brand batteries) Optimas may at best be 25%-35% more.There will be bad batteries,all makers,it's called mass production(can I state that enough?).

You work for a Interstate dealer and boss wouldn't be caught with one of Interstates batteries?

Oh you must not know that Optima is produced by Interstate Batteries:D.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well you really don't know jack do ya?Optimas are not 2x the price,unless you get those junk batteries(neverstart and Advance brand batteries) Optimas may at best be 25%-35% more.There will be bad batteries,all makers,it's called mass production(can I state that enough?).

You work for a Interstate dealer and boss wouldn't be caught with one of Interstates batteries?

Good one!
I run a yellow top in my Mini so I can power 960 watts of lighting.
I run an Optima Red Top in our KJ. Sure, it was more exspensive than other makes, but they are worth it.

Last edited:

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am pretty sold on the Optima Red Top (is there a specific # I need to look for?). I'm probably going to pick one up after Christmas. Any suggestions on where to buy locally? I have an autozone, pep boys, murrays, sears, etc...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Well I am pretty sold on the Optima Red Top (is there a specific # I need to look for?). I'm probably going to pick one up after Christmas. Any suggestions on where to buy locally? I have an autozone, pep boys, murrays, sears, etc...

I bought one from Wal Mart here in town. $214.00 model 34/78
Last time I was down in the Seattle area I cheked out an Autozone and the price was something like $190.00.
So yeah, I think I got a pretty good price in Canadian funds.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_edge/technical_specs.php

Last edited:

tdamocles

Reaction score

Yes I know and yes my boss knows and still he will not have one under his hood. Interstate part # is SC34U(red) and SC34DU(yellow- deep cycle)

Well you really don't know jack do ya?

Wow...strong words........How old are you?...Show some control :D
I deal with these batteries all day long(gell and lead/acid)...do you? I'm not an expert but I see what I see........

Also, take a look at the Interstate Web site, which I never looked at until now and search for sc34u and than the equivalent mt-34. It is almost x2 the $$$$$.(key word here - almost)

Mt-86 is what the Liberty calls for which is plenty of CCA for a V6 Jeep. Mt-34 has 700 CCA. Mtp-78dt has 800 CCA. The 34 and 78dt probably won't fit the tray anyway. The SC34U has 800 CCA. Look at all the different batteries..............................

This is just my opinion on the optima....Does one need to be harsh?:D

This is the end of my discussion.....

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My original is still going strong but not in the Liberty, replaced mine with a Redtop this fall after 4 years of owning mine, thought it was time before I got stranded this winter, also got a deal from another member on Expedition Portal, brand new shipped to me for about a 100 bucks , couldn't pass it up