Grinding noise when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZliberty

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep liberty limited, 3.7 engine with approx 88K miles on it.

When I drive it there is a "metal on metal" grinding noise that gets loader as the speed gets higher.

Initial thought was brake issue, suspected bad brake pads or caliper problems, but after going over all the brake components on front and back found no problems with brake system.

Yesterday I lifted the rear side of the vehicle and put the gear in drive and let the left wheel spin trying to see if I can narrow down where the noise originates from. initially it all sounds pretty normal just a light rasping noise maybe, but when I pressed the gas pedal and RPM's got to around 3000rpm the grinding noise was really bad and shockingly loud. Moved jack to other rear side wheel and get the same result when the right rear wheel is elevated.

I suspected a rear wheel bearing problem so with the wheels elevated the engine off I tried to turn the wheel by hand but do not hear anyting grinding then (suspect not enough speed), I tried to rock the wheel left to right, but could not feel any severe play and when I tried to pull the wheel outward I felt a bit of play but I think that is normal because of the Disk+pad caliper brake system.

Driving the car normally on any road surface the noise is always there but gets really noticeable around 30+ MPH inside the car,if the stereo is off, and gets louder as the speed goes up.

Transmission fluid is normal and shifting feels normal, I hear this problem in D, 1 and 2, no difference if in any of the 4WD settings or normal 2WD (which I have it in 99.9% of the time since owned this Liberty since new)

Fluid level in rear differential checked yesterday seems to be at a normal level too.

Any ideas what to do next for diagnostics and what the most likely cause of the problem is?

Is the small amount of play/travel I feel when I try to pull the rear wheel outward and push inward normal on this liberty? (note:Disk rotor + pad brake system on both front and rear axles)

I suspect it has been doing this for quite some time already but with he radio at a normal sound level the noise inside the car is not really noticeable and alarming sounding, until you get around 60+ mph on the highway and then it gets load enough you hear it over the radio sound. Are these symptoms indicating a serious enough problem to say "don't drive it and have it towed to dealer for repair" or is this in the category "try to get it to a dealer in the next week or so for repair but OK to drive to work until then"

Thanks for any advice

srkl33

Reaction score
Same issue

I just googled this exact same issue with my husband's jeep and found this thread - at first I thought it was the wheel bearing, but like above tonight when I took put the vehicle up on a hoist no play with the wheel, changed rotors and brake pads tonight thinking it might just be a plain and simple warped rotor, but noise is still present. I'm stumped....ideas?

We have a 03 Liberty Limited

anthonyf2

Reaction score
the bearing may still be gone if there is no play on them but it still sounds like a bearing is gone the grease in the bearing has ran out. i had the same problem with my 03 limited just jack the whole thing up put it in 4wd and set it at around 20 mph now listen near the tires and you will be able to tell witch one is making noise it worked for me.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rhetorical question
I have seen this before
Some one at my last job got taken for a few
hundred bucks due to "air in the fuel system"
They were told that this was due to allowing the car to
run below 1/4 tank of fuel an suck up air
The mechanic had to "clean and purge" the fuel system
So ,IIRC, $400 later they got 1/4 tank of fuel and a new fuel
filter as well as the advice of a mechanic to "not get air in the fuel"