Great deal on OME

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this and got excited, i have a 4wd parts about 15 mins away and called to have them look it up and its $74.99 per spring...

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to them yesterday and again this morning regarding prices as I am getting ready to do another lift for a customer and was trying to find the best prices. Operator told me the price and then continued to say that you needed two which I knew.
The ones you got before was from Rustys correct? they were cleaning out stock and wanted to get rid of ones that no one wanted ie Light Duty ones

but like I said go for it and see I'll continue to buy from my main suppliers ( BoulderBars/JeepinbyAL / OK 4WD ) where I know I'll get what I ordered

OH one more thing OME 948s are medium duty like stated by some, but everyone calls them HDs . You can look on line at ARB and see for your self
well then screw them for telling me otherwise in that email. but i understand that not everyone at a parts store knows whats going on

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH one more thing OME 948s are medium duty like stated by some, but everyone calls them HDs . You can look on line at ARB and see for your self

Thanks Tom! That's what I was thinking.

Actually kind of confuses me even more though.

So, if I went 926 up front, what's the better match in the rear? Medium Front(926)/Light rear(947)? (so 375/350 spring rate)? Or Medium front(926)/Medium Rear(948) (375/375 spring rate?). Or are those spring rates totally off anyway?

I am still leery of the HD's and am thinking I'll go with MD front...just not sure what that means for the rear. I don't really tow that much at all, and if I do it's been reasonably light weight.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called there 1-800 and talked to a customer service rep. who said they did include two springs for $75 i told her to go check that and she came back and said it was a mistake and that they are in fact $75 a piece and the website is in the process of being corrected.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom was wrong, check the link in my last post. 948's are infact HD. ARB's website even says so.

I understand what you mean Budke, that's fine. So what that means is that 948 are HD and 947 are MD and there is no LD rear spring, right?

I follow you...I am just curious to know then, regardless of what they are called, what's the better match for me?

926/947
926/948

And I don't want to hear "948" just because it's stiffer. WHY do I need it to be stiffer then?

The rates posted in the OME stickied thread show that:

LD: ~350lbs
MD: ~375lbs
HD: ~400lbs.

So, it sounds like 926's are 375lbs. Are the 947's 350 or 375? Are the 948's 375 or 400? Or are the 947/948 something else entirely?

I am trying to use the #'s rather than "HD, MD, LD" to reduce the confusion and disparity.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
ahem...

ALL Rear Gas/Diesel - Light Load Spring 1.5" 2 OME947
Shock 2 N132
ALL Rear Gas/Diesel - Medium Load Spring 1.5" 2 OME948
Shock 2 N132
ALL Rear OE replacement Shock 2
N1341

So from ARB's website we have two conflicting reports of information. Odd. One section says the 948s are medium duty (which I have always believed them to be) and the other says they are heavy duty.

So NOBODY HERE is wrong.

Glad I saw that though, now I know which springs I need to order! :D

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony! I was wondering that...makes sense with all the weight on the front end that the fronts would be a higher rate. Just looking at them indicates this :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree Tony - on my 45k mile OEM suspension the back end wants to hop on bumps.

I guess what I struggle with is that everyone claims that rides firmer but smoother. I am equating firm with hitting a bump and not really having the suspension compress. I am just really picturing a 30% increase in spring stiffness equating to this.

Is there any type of comparison or explanation of how the MD setup would feel vs HD and stock?

I know a lot of folks say "GO HD"....but most of you guys have your KJ's offroad a ton. I want something that's not going to be jarring or a pain on the road. I hardly ever go off road anymore. Essentially, I want something where my wife can pass out on a freeway trip and sleep comfortably without being jarred awake every few mins. Right now the KJ is at the point where it's pretty rough in that regard. With Detroit's uneven roads and potholes, I am looking for the smoothest ride I can get.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom was wrong, check the link in my last post. 948's are infact HD. ARB's website even says so.

I am wrong :p :confused::confused::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I see that Marlon posted up what I have went by for over 5 years now. Been that way for a long time. I see what you are looking at but with the real spring rate of them I think they are still Mediums

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right - call them whatever you want, I am looking at the P/N's and spring rates to make a decision and properly identify that decision.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Atrus
I'll try here using HDs which are firm is not way too stiff like you may think. For example one set of tracks I used to go over everyday, with stock suspension and only 20,000 miles it would bounce all over at 50. I got to the point I had to slow to 35 due to it bouncing so much over them. After I installed the HDs I could go over them at 55/60 and it floated instead of bounced. A firmer suspension does not make it rock hard, only handles better over all types of terrain, interstates, city streets, back roads what ever.
If you are scared HDs are too much just go with the Mediums all the way around. Rears are not the same LB per inch as the fronts are they are in the 200/210 range depending

OH and a lot of people think the BDS ride better than the OMEs, BDS spring rates are front 435 and rear 210 for comparision

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom - do you feel (or have you been in a MD KJ) that the MD's are a vast improvement over stock? How noticeable is the difference between MD and HD? I've unfortunately never seen/ridden in either. Doesn't seem to be too many modded (or active anyway) KJ's in my vicinity.

EDIT - Maybe this'll serve as a point of reference. My buddy has a 2008 or 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with <15k on it. His suspension seems to ride "firm" but it's not "harsh" to me like my KJ is. Obviously the longer wheelbase helps to get rid of the bucking the KJ is prone to, but overall the suspension feels great to me!

EDIT#2 - Didn't realize BDS was that much higher....Hmmmm...I thought my mind was made up on MD's, but now I am reconsidering the HD's again. I overanalyze everything. Just want to make sure I am dropping $350 on something I'll be happy with.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did one for a customer with mediums, I drove it about 5 miles before and it flopped everywhere! Had 85,000 on it though. The owner ( a sweet young thing) said it rode way better than it had ever before! ( was her Moms ride before she got it) So yes it would be an improvement.
You live in the wrong state by the way. Down here we could get you a ride in anything from Rustys/BDS/ OME927s/790s ......:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Bucking is the suspension being too soft/ and or worn out

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
mmm 1 hour and a half to where you are, could give you a ride in a gasser with 790s in the front ( 500 lb spring rate) ha ha
You're not too far from where I bought my Moabs at in Clinton

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm literally about 2 miles from Clinton Twp.

Hopefully we can meet up for some kind of M&G (be it Ohio or MI) at some point in the not-too-distant future. I am hoping to make it out for the Spaniard's visit, but not sure if it's feasible for me ;)