Got true duals finally done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got them done.

What do you think?

You must be registered for see images

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Can you show the exit areas? I got a shop that will do my duals for free, but wanted to see where to route the driver side pipe.

Oh, never mind, I see, that's Illegal in PA, where your pipes exit. In good old communist PA, the tail-pipe(s) have to exit behind (after) the last seating area in the vehicle.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, mine do right before the rear wheels.
So you don't have Mercedes Gelandewagens? They have such exit from factory.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Cool,does no cats mean no 02 sensors? How much different does it run? possible to get a sound clip?

L

lil black liberty

This is exactly what I wanted to do to mine but the exhaust shop said it couldn't be done and I was like well I need the vehicle and I ain't got time to keep it in and out of shops so just put dumps on it.. and they did and it sounds amazing..

It looks like you have high flow cats, with JBA headers, and not sure what brand mufflers but nice.. I'm hoping it sounds ok because I kinda had my doubts when I wanted to do it, I was told it would sound bad... not as in good but as in sick like nasty... So let us hear it please!! :D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shop asked me $400 for this when I was first getting my flowmaster (plus the cost of mufflers, approx $225). I thought it was preposterous, then I realized the work that needed to be done, but I still stuck to single swap.
Some pix of the exit area would be great. Did you leave them hidden underneath or just extended piping with stainless tips? What I hate about the extended pipes, they tend to damage the paint if not too long.
Also I don't see heat shield on the other side.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather hear this than see the pics! You gotta post up a video of this so we can hear it. I have often thought of a dual real outlet but haven't commited the cash to the mod yet. What kind of mufflers your runnin?

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, i'll make a video alittle later.
As well as pics of end tips, they are looking up and don't stick out much.

Actually at first i had 2 flowmaster super 44 extreme mufflers...they sounded extremely awful except when at idle. Had to sell those and got these stainless german Fox mufflers. The are more like borla, just straight pipe inside.

Also those aren't high flow cats, they are what they called here "flame dampers" - resonators of some sort, usually installed instead of cats.

I had to install special electronic pieces, that tell the comp, that everything is fine, so that it doesn't light the check engine light up.

Resonators and mufflers were together about 700$ and about the same i payed for everything else - pipes welding, tips, etc.

Speaking about the heat shield, first of all there is enough clearance there for the heat to escape just fine, secondly since there's two of them now and only 3 cylinders for each, so the don't heat up as they used to.

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and by the way, i used to have similar set up on my previous kj.
Only it wasn't true dual, just 1 to 2 straight muffler.

Here's how it sounded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEudzx5IJw

This one sounds much more quietly, only reminding of itself when i start to accelerate intensively, which is exactly what i wanted, got tired of daily driver sounding too loud at any speed (i got firebird formula with straight pipes for that :-D)

Also what i feel is that when the car is too loud, you think it should accelerate better, than it does, but when it's relatively quiet, you feel the difference in acceleration with every mod better...or is it just me?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

Actually at first i had 2 flowmaster super 44 extreme mufflers...they sounded extremely awful except when at idle. Had to sell those and got these stainless german Fox mufflers. The are more like borla, just straight pipe inside.

Also those aren't high flow cats, they are what they called here "flame dampers" - resonators of some sort, usually installed instead of cats.

I had to install special electronic pieces, that tell the comp, that everything is fine, so that it doesn't light the check engine light up.

Resonators and mufflers were together about 700$ and about the same i payed for everything else - pipes welding, tips, etc.

Speaking about the heat shield, first of all there is enough clearance there for the heat to escape just fine, secondly since there's two of them now and only 3 cylinders for each, so the don't heat up as they used to.

Thats not bad considering the fact that it's a full custom installation.
Hell, back in 1983 it cost $1500.00 to have a custom dual exhaust put under
a '67 Mercury!

One other question for you Mr. Pain!

With this dual setup, how is the low end torque performance?
Has the torque moved up the R.P.M. range at all?

Last edited:

max pain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it hasn't, the torque has increased at all range of RPM.

Here are the tips:

Although i cut them off today :)
The arey too big in my opinion and stick down too much. Put on single smaller tips.
Will put up new photos of those when i make them.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was going to ask how you'd pass emissions. Then I saw your location and that answered all.

Members online

No members online now.