Got to really test the KJ today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
So we've been getting alot of tropical showers the past few days with this system off the coast. But they've been the kind where it pours like mad for about 10 minutes and stops, and you get some ponding on the roadway, but nothing too major.

Well today was much different. We recieved about 4-6" of rain in about an hours time. It started pouring, and kept right on pouring for that hour. Every where you turned streets were quickly going under water, and I was at the time about 30 minutes away from my home, and its a highway commute back home.

I was on the highway (I-40 to be exact) doing about 20-25mph, couldn't see anything at all, nor hear anything from the hard rain hitting the windows. I got to the point where I could take country back roads home and get off the highway, before I ended up plowing into the back of somebody. Well that turned out to be a mistake, or so I thought....

I turned off the highway and got about half a mile to a road that was completely washed out. I'm talking about, all you could see was a shit load of water and little ricers burried up to their windshields. Probably going against my better judgement at the time, I decided to go for it and keep going down the road. Well it turns out the water came up to about my headlights, maybe a little more. I continued down this road for about a mile or so creeping at about 5 mph. I must say the KJ did absolutely amazing through the deep water. Didn't leak a drop on the inside, and didn't have one single mechanical problem. I checked both the engine oil and ****** fluid when I got home for signs of water and there were none to be found.

Im killing myself for not having a camera, of a video camera. I'm giving serious thoughts to mounting a video cam in my Jeep today.

Just thought I'd share my experiences today and say how awesome the KJ ndoes in fording water.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. I have to agree that the Jeep Liberty makes high water look like puddles. We had some rain dump on us yesterday, heavy rain, that made parts of my local river overflow (Clinton River). I was going down a side street that runs parallel with the river and there were cars backed up due to water over the road. I found that some vehicles were going through it on the far edge where it was extremley shallow. I went straight through the middle (staying on the road) doing about 5-8 mph. Water us up to fog lights and I was making a really good wake (the people in the shallow end didn't like it).

No issues and I opened the hood, checked everything, and found no problems. I love my Jeep!!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I was loving the little mini monsoon we had yesterday.

I took the opportunity to let my undercarriage soak and then flushed it a little in the mini great lakes that were popping up everywhere.

I wish PHIL HAD TOLD ME there was somewhere nearby where that water level was ridiculous, I woulda been there in a second.

BTW- We had 3/4" hail down at my shop. Thats probably that largest hail I have ever seen.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No hail around here, but I LOVE IT when Clinton River overflows!

I'm scared to do any water in this Jeep... I don't have the slightest idea where the air intake is...

2003KJ

Reaction score
Gwakie said:
What tyres/wheels are you running? Have you guys included anything special to increase ground clearence or are your Jeeps at factory standard?

I'm at completely stock height, and running 235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's....which did awesome on the extremely slick highways and roads....didn't hydroplane one bit.

Other than replacing the good-for-a-year's, I've done no other mods to my Jeep.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plenty of rain here too. I've been plowing thru some of the larger street puddles sending plumes of water skyward. (lol) Gets me a lot of strange looks but its fun. The police usually block off any flooded streets before I get a chance to play on them.

At Paragon, I have wheeled thru water that actually crested over the hood with no ill effect.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the key is go slow. Do not stop and keep moving, and it should be no problem. But up to headlight, that's some bravery there.. I did go into puddles up to right above bumpers and were shitless scared after smoke (steam) started coming out of radiator. That was the first time I took the plunge.. But after that realized it was only water evaporating..

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice story Tim! Wow... I wish I was there in your passenger seat! I bet you were sweating a bit huh?! Go Liberty!

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I guess the key is go slow. Do not stop and keep moving, and it should be no problem. But up to headlight, that's some bravery there.. I did go into puddles up to right above bumpers and were shitless scared after smoke (steam) started coming out of radiator. That was the first time I took the plunge.. But after that realized it was only water evaporating..

LOL!!!!!!!! I remember I freaked out so bad the first time I took my liberty into headlight deep water, it was also my first time offroad and the smoke gave me a heart attack and an ulcer.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
LOL!!!!!!!! I remember I freaked out so bad the first time I took my liberty into headlight deep water, it was also my first time offroad and the smoke gave me a heart attack and an ulcer.

Same here. Once that mud and water hits the engine/radiator and starts boiling and steaming it freaks you out. crazy.gif

Watch out for overheating if your radiator gets a lot of debris stuck in it.

DJBassman

Reaction score
I saw on the national news last night that a wrangle got stock in the water up to the head lights. They showed that just as I said to my wife, the KJ can take the water. She laughed for hours at me when they showed that wrangler in the water.

I just told her that, it was not a KJ! lol (whistle)

AtlanticLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm on the east coast too and these pics were taken just south of where I live. Can someone please tell me what the point of buying a KJ is if you're just going to do this when you encounter deep water?

You must be registered for see images

You just want to slap some people. #-o

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:
So I'm on the east coast too and these pics were taken just south of where I live. Can someone please tell me what the point of buying a KJ is if you're just going to do this when you encounter deep water?

Thats a trick question right? (Aeh)

Mick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AtlanticLiberty said:

Maybe they just ran out of gas. It looks like the gas cap door is open.

2003KJ

Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Nice story Tim! Wow... I wish I was there in your passenger seat! I bet you were sweating a bit huh?! Go Liberty!

Yeah I had that feeling in the bottom of my stomache the whole time....and my adrenaline kicked in too.

The water I went through was just a tad higher than that in the picture. And I love how they go in and rescue people in STANDING water...if it's not moving, can't they walk out themselves?

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
And I love how they go in and rescue people in STANDING water...if it's not moving, can't they walk out themselves?

I was thinking that too! I love the life vests... in case they fall out of the raft and couldn't, you know, stand up.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also it seems like that silver KJ is on a ditch, maybe a flat tire on driver side both tires, because he ran over something in that water? Or she/he just panicked.. or he was fishing?