Got new meats, NOT HAPPY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have still shopped it around. I got 5 BFG AT's mounted, lifetime rotation, and warranty for $600 last year

cash is king

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The funny thing was the taller 245 75 16 was 5 dollars cheaper then the 245 70 16, but I went with the 70.

Same thing for my General Grabbers. Kinda wierd, but the guy at the store said it's either due to lower volumes being sold, or the fact that sometimes it's more expensive for them to mfg the shorter sidewall.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have still shopped it around. I got 5 BFG AT's mounted, lifetime rotation, and warranty for $600 last year

cash is king

That would be near, if not totally, impossible here.

I also considered the discount tire direct or tirerack method, but by the time shipping is thrown in and mounting, etc, it's the same price as going to the retail guys.

I think I paid like $440 or so for my Grabbers, but that was with a $250 credit from my SR-A's (had like 11k on them)

fdems

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went I was shopping for tires I decided on STS TIRES for the install, funny thing was that at one STS shop the cost was $118.00 per tire and the other STS shop in another town was only $98.00 per tire. I of course went w/ the cheaper price and when I asked why it was lower they told me it had to do w/ property taxes and locale of the store.
NOTE: Cheaper set off the highway in a largerly commercial area
Expensive set was in a high-end town w/ huge houses and mercedes rolling around

Maybe if I went to the South bronx I'd would have gotten them for $20 bucks and a graffiti paint job.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And with a computer.. dorms are jails for students.. Animal House!!!

Im an out-doorsy type guy.. So this is torture for me. :(

Yea, $600 for 5 tires mounted is insane. I can get my tires mounted for free and cant beat that price. I got the current tires(four yoko A/T's) on my Jeep for $500.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Whoa! Yup, very much overpriced.

I got all 5 of my Toyo Open Country A/Ts for just under $600, mounted and balanced. 245/70R16 size...

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 4 Firestones and 4 Cragar wheels mounted/balanced for ~$780 and Free tire rotation for life @ belle tire. That reminds me gonna need one soon. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
4 245 70X16 Firestone Destination ATs mounted balanced all taxes $414.
4 255 70X16 Kumho ATs same thing final price paid $421

Both end of the month on a Saturday deals, managers trying to make their bonus

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just got a quote for five 245-70-16 BF Good Ridge AT/ko's for $249.00 CDN. a piece.
I can take a 45 minute drive down South to Bellingham,
Washington and go to the local "Wal-Mart Super store and buy the exact same tire mounted/installed on the vehicle for $143.00 (Canadian dollar at par right now) That's $715.00 all in opposed to $1245.00 plus dollars not including tire disposal fee, environmental fee and tax!

Guess where I'm buying my rubber!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote for five 245-70-16 BF Good Ridge AT/ko's for $249.00 CDN. a piece.
I can take a 45 minute drive down South to Bellingham,
Washington and go to the local "Wal-Mart Super store and buy the exact same tire mounted/installed on the vehicle for $143.00 (Canadian dollar at par right now) That's $715.00 all in opposed to $1245.00 plus dollars not including tire disposal fee, environmental fee and tax!

Guess where I'm buying my rubber!
Wallmart will not mount 245/70's on your KJ,they do not mount any tires but stock sized rubber for liability reasons.Just bring them your rims(no tires on them) and don't tell them the vehicle they are going on.

On a side note you all a bunch of tighties when it comes to paying for tires.Tires are one of those items in which you get what you pay for,but some really bad tires are overpriced(HMMM-AKA Pepboy's and BFG's).Some deals are out there,Maxxis makes some damn good AT and MT tires for a good price(found the BigHorn radials in the 265/75R16 size for $115 apiece,a good 50,000 mile+ tires),Interco's Trxus MT's are another value to be had,paid $114 apiece for my 265/75's(from 4wheelparts to boot,wasn't looking for the cheapest price on them either).Both tires are from proven histories and good companies.MT/R's(can get at least 40,000 miles if rotated every oil change) are pricey but more then worth it(blame the union strike for the prices),any BFG tire is overpriced for a crappy tire except for there Krawlers(the only tire they make worth a damn).Toyo Open Country MT's are right up there with the best,but for that quility and performance your going to pay,got my set of 35x13.50x15's and 15x8 unique steel series 297(Crager soft 8's) for $1800 mounted and balanced(that's 5 tires) but with al sorts of discounts from Discount Tires.Shopping around will help if your a tight wad,some places price match(Discount Tires),just whach out for those overpriced China knock-off's,there worse then retreats.

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wallmart will not mount 245/70's on your KJ,they do not mount any tires but stock sized rubber for liability reasons.Just bring them your rims(no tires on them) and don't tell them the vehicle they are going on.

Yes they will, I've done it myself. Had them put 265/75R16 on my Ranger that came with 245/75R16:D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they will, I've done it myself. Had them put 265/75R16 on my Ranger that came with 245/75R16:D

The wallymart here won't do it..so it must depend on the store.

Dave

seriouse

Reaction score
Absolute Renegade...Your question on the tires.....In NY The State requires the disposal fee to be charged (and sent to them) based on the number of new tires sold...weather you turn in tires or not does not matter. It's not the tire dealer. But they should have told you this when you told them you were keeping your old tires. That is what they told me when I had my tires put on and kept the old ones. Sounds like the place you had them done leaves a little to be desired.

I never heard of that brand of tire before. Let us know how they perform as I am curious.

Dave

Pep boys tires are made by cooper and they are sold under "futura" or "definity" brands. In my opinion they are decent tires but way overpriced. I used to have a set on my Liberty and they performed ok and lasted about 45000 miles. Having said that I will never buy tires from them again just for the unbelievable bad service they gave me.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude, how is a BFG a poor tire? It is proven to last, good quality, great wear. I have the same BFG AT's mounted for over 35k as a daily driver and dont have any premature wear. My wife drives it over 100mi a day on highway, they have lasted just fine.

there is no way they are poor tires, maybe over priced at MSRP, but that is why we are saying shop it around. call it being a tight wad, but they are still good tires.

trxus MT's are damn near impossible to keep balanced, they wear horribly,

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trxus MT's are damn near impossible to keep balanced, they wear horribly,
I've got 12,000 miles on mine and they are wearing awesome and look almost brand new.

As for the BFG's,I was a great supporter of BFG's until I started playing offroad,they just don't last.I blew out 4 BFG MT's in less then 1 month due to a really weak sidewall that tree braches love to punture and before running the MT's I ran the AT's and had 3 sidewall puntures,1 tread seperate,and 1 break a steel belt.All these tires failed in less then 6 months time frame and all where less then 6 months old(not on my KJ,my '84 Blazer).I switched to Interco's Boggers and never had a problem,and after that I have only ever ran MT/R's or Intero tires with zero problems,not even one flat tire.

Latest posts

Members online