Got me one them there CB antennas!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bro thinks it makes me look like a hillbilly, but i do live in kentucky. I got the one thats magnetic, and it unscrews leaving the base on the roof. Ill only screw it on when i need it, so i wont always look like a hillbilly. Theres nothing better than it hitting a bunch of trees.

Kind of hard to see, but here it is. I ran the wire down the weatherstripping and in at the front door. I ran the wire with the xm antennas wire, do you all think it will hurt anything? My dad has a booster in his truck and i talked to him over 2 miles away. Thats with alot of mountains too, so i think thats great for my little handheld cb. If those boosters didnt cost $300 i would get one, but this is fine for my needs.

You must be registered for see images attach

I need to go back and put some tape around it where it goes behind the weatherstripping. Im afraid its going to cut the wire. Its way to cold right now though. Got down to 12F last night. I bought it at radioshack for only $25. Couldnt pass it up.

pixeldzn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used one of those for my first trail ride. It was such a PITA that I ordered a firestik for my next trail ride. I knocked it off at least 10 times, and it flew off at 75 mph on the highway once as well. Loveley sound, hearing it slam against the flipper glass.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
heh....i was made fun of when I had that cb antenna.
like pixel, thing flew off @ highway speeds.
throught out the trail, i didnt hear the end of it.....

Mine was also oldish, and I blamed the magnet being weak when it was new tho, it held up ok....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I got up to 65 and it did fine. I hope it never flys off. I guess ill take it off when i know im going to go faster than that. Seems to do great other than that though. Did you all get the same one from radioshack?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use something similar too. Have one of the radio shack models. I don't have on for highway driving, but works great on the trail. Back in the west we didn't have trees to know it over. Plus being way up there and an already tuned lenght of wire I get better reception then most of the people with firestix or whatever mounted behind the KJ.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you run your wire? Sounds like you just stick it up there when you need it and run it through the window.

jjnord

Reaction score
I've had that set-up. Been there, done that...it sucked.
I didn't have any trouble with it ever comming off even at hiway speeds.
Mine lasted about 3 months before the openning and shutting of the passenger door frayed and damaged the cable. It never worked well either. I fab'ed up a mount on the spare tire carrier and run a Firestick now. Looks great, works great.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
hope

Those portable radios put out 1 more watt than the standard. You need a decent antenna from a truck stop wound to the proper wave length...not radio shack. Mount it solid to the rack rails. You'll get mucho more range this way.

You can put it on a fold foward mount for parking garages and such

skipperb

Reaction score
Wilson 1000 / 5000 or a K40 mounted in the center will
not come loose or be knock off will go in the garage
and can be taken off easily worked for years on cb still have mine .replaced it with a screwdrive for ham
click on pic

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cheapo radio shack antenna on top of the KJ got way better reception then the firestick antenna stuck on the back of my CJ. Same CB in both cases. I'm sure it has more to do with location of the antenna. If I mounted the firestick on the roof I would have probably gotten great reception.

Latest posts

Members online