Got a CEL P0302 - Troubleshooting steps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks-

Was driving to work yesterday in my 06 KJ (3.7L Gasser) and right around the corner from the office, I noticed my CEL lit up. Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, no power hiccups or rough running so I was a bit surprised. After fiddling with the key-toggle/odometer code reading trick for a while and realizing that the 06 is too new for that (D'oh!), I took it to PepBoys to use their scan tool and pulled a P0302 - #2 Cylinder Misfire.

I'm a bit perplexed - it has 54,400 miles on it and I last changed the plugs a year and a half ago in July 2011 at 41,200. I used Autolite Iridiums which I remember were recommended by some on this forum. I drove it back from work yesterday and back to work today and no abnormal behavior other than the CEL still being illuminated (but not flashing, so I don't think it's throwing more codes), it drives perfectly. So I'd like to solicit your opinions on next steps, should I:

1) Replace all 6 plugs with new copper core plugs, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery & discharging the system, and see if the code returns?
This would indicate to me that there's something with the Iridium plugs that the 3.7 didn't like.
2) Swap the coil packs around to see if I can get a code on a different cylinder? Or just replace the #2 coil pack altogether? How expensive are these?

Not sure where else to go to troubleshoot this one other than just throwing new parts at it, so would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest swapping around the coil packs first.

I have also seen this problem in other posts that were caused by a bad fuel injector and in another case caused by a sticking intake valve.

1BADKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Champion copper only. That's what came from the dealer and its what they recommend.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the CEL cleared itself the next day and I have not seen a recurrence since. Engine has been running perfectly with no signs of trouble. I swapped coil packs 2 and 1 over the weekend just to see if I get another code and if it follows the cylinder swap, but otherwise I have to think this is just an anomaly of some sort. Will be driving it every day this week so will have to monitor and see if the CEL gets another code...