Goodyear Wrangler Territory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, junk tires sure are expensive up there! No offense...But the first thing I do when looking to buy a vehicle is check the tires if they are Goodyears then no sale unless they change to BFG.

Back story:
I bought a brand new 97 Jeep Cherokee with GY wranglers.. Two weeks later I took the Jeep up into the mountains and there is this shale trail, (Had a TOYOTA 90 4X4 on this trail) that I have been up and down hundreds of times. Well, with the Cherokee I kept getting stuck and just spinning.. When I got home I went and purchased 31X10.5X15 BFG ATKO..Two weeks later back to the mts and that trail. Handled it like a pro! Just like I knew it should!

Have had BFG ATKO on every vehicle I've owned since (4X4's) Goodyear GT's were great on my Vette and my Z. But the off road tires are worthless. They are for the wanna be 4X4's and trial huggers. If you want OFF ROAD reality then BFG all the way! And don't get the Long trails, just like GY!

Just my opinion...based on experience.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Boy, junk tires sure are expensive up there! No offense...But the first thing I do when looking to buy a vehicle is check the tires if they are Goodyear's then no sale unless they change to BFG.

Back story:
I bought a brand new 97 Jeep Cherokee with GY wranglers.. Two weeks later I took the Jeep up into the mountains and there is this shale trail, (Had a TOYOTA 90 4X4 on this trail) that I have been up and down hundreds of times. Well, with the Cherokee I kept getting stuck and just spinning.. When I got home I went and purchased 31X10.5X15 BFG ATKO..Two weeks later back to the mts and that trail. Handled it like a pro! Just like I knew it should!

Have had BFG ATKO on every vehicle I've owned since (4X4's) Goodyear GT's were great on my Vette and my Z. But the off road tires are worthless. They are for the wanna be 4X4's and trial huggers. If you want OFF ROAD reality then BFG all the way! And don't get the Long trails, just like GY!

Thanks for the input... But that didn't answer my question!:rolleyes:

As far as BGF is concerned... I've run BFG Mud Terrains and All Terrains with good success and am still considering a set of BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 Tires at $250.00 a pop, But for that price I can buy Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Tires! And they seem to be a very good choice for many people! I am also considering a set of Kumho Road Venture MT (KL71) Tires at $196.00 each. That's $54.00 less per tire. ($270.00 on a set of five! That's an extra tire or mounting and balancing for five!)

Cheers
Ry'

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Socks, I have never heard of those particular tires either. The tread looks agressive and it does say that they have the "snoflake" on them which is required for winter in some parts of Canada so maybe it has something to do with that???

I have also run BFG A/T's before and they are awesome tires for an A/T which is a compromise tire. But still a good tire in my experience with them.

I was stuck yesterday and had to be strapped out of the mud by another KJ with Super Swampers and lockers. So yesterday I wished I had Swampers.......I got even with him though and pulled him out of a mud pit. Pic's on LOST NE Twin Arch run from yesterday.

Dave

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Socks, I have never heard of those particular tires either. The tread looks agressive and it does say that they have the "snoflake" on them which is required for winter in some parts of Canada so maybe it has something to do with that???

I have also run BFG A/T's before and they are awesome tires for an A/T which is a compromise tire. But still a good tire in my experience with them.

I was stuck yesterday and had to be strapped out of the mud by another KJ with Super Swampers and lockers. So yesterday I wished I had Swampers.......I got even with him though and pulled him out of a mud pit. Pic's on LOST NE Twin Arch run from yesterday.

Dave

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a tire for just our market!
I checked the Canadian and U.S. Goodyear website and didn't find any info on that tire there either!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, junk tires sure are expensive up there! No offense...But the first thing I do when looking to buy a vehicle is check the tires if they are Goodyears then no sale unless they change to BFG.

Back story:

you ever stop to think that it is not all Goodyear tires but rather the ones you were running at the time?

you are not comparing apples to apples here
the BFG's are a dedicated AT the GY's are more street oriented
who am I kidding they are street tires
having owned lots of different brands in all shapes and flavors I can tell you that there are much better tires out there than the BFG
I have the GY MTR-K on my TJ and they are comparable to a Super Swamper off road ,I know I replaced swampers with these
yet much better on road even compared to the old MTR

Tire companies need to make better products to compete in the growing market BFG has just learned this
This is why they have made the same tires for 20 years and other companies have improved and passed them by

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, no.... I have owned GY tires like I stated on my Vette and my Z. Both were excellent tires for on road traction and handling.

When I think tires there are two catergories.

Street performance= Goodyear

Off Road performance= BFG AT/KO

Thats the only tires that I buy. I have long since sold the vette and the Z got stolen, so I have been running 4X4's since 1999. Boy I can't believe I haven't had a CAR in 10 years!

Maybe one day I'll find my '63 Split window coupe, Yeah,like right after I win the lottery!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Dave

Looked like you had lotta fun....nice KJ. First time I've seen it....

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Limited OFF ROAD experience.... I have been driving off road (east coast) since 1986 first 4X4 was a Chevy Blazer then in 90 I got a new Toyota put on a lift some ARB lockers and had a ball. No, I am not a rock crawler, don't have that around here. But I can off road with the best of them.. From the mt's to the seashore and through blizzards.. If I want to rock crawl I use ropes and biners.

I just stick with tires that work, never before have I been stuck with BFG AT/KO's I have NEVER had to be pulled out and I sure have done a lot of pulling out myself. Even had to pull out some yuppies Wrangler (yes with GY tires).

So, where you get I have limited off road experience is beyond me..Unless you are counting word placement...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I asked a simple question as to weather or not the people here had heard of these Goodyear Wrangler Territory.
Sorry, I don't want to start another piss fest over tires.
I've run Goodyear's on my Classic Mini for 25 plus years and they are really good. Both street and off road. Yokohama tires on road kick ass on my Mini, on and off road. Better than Goodyear!

That's not the question though!

Has anybody here heard of Goodyear Wrangler Territory?
A simple yes, bla bla bla.
Or no, bla bla bla would do me just fine.
I don't care what your personal opinion of Goodyear tires are off road.
9 out of 10 time it's not the tire, it's the driver who doesn't know how to drive!
Doesn't matter what you drive or what you roll on, the driver is the problem!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked a simple question as to weather or not the people here had heard of these Goodyear Wrangler Territory.
Sorry, I don't want to start another piss fest over tires.
I've run Goodyear's on my Classic Mini for 25 plus years and they are really good. Both street and off road. Yokohama tires on road kick ass on my Mini, on and off road. Better than Goodyear!

That's not the question though!

Has anybody here heard of Goodyear Wrangler Territory?
A simple yes, bla bla bla.
Or no, bla bla bla would do me just fine.
I don't care what your personal opinion of Goodyear tires are off road.
9 out of 10 time it's not the tire, it's the driver who doesn't know how to drive!
Doesn't matter what you drive or what you roll on, the driver is the problem!

No I have not heard of them
how ever Goodyear has just released a wide range of new tires and is phasing out a bunch of the old
They have a good reputation as a solid tire company so if you buy the right tires for the right job you really can not go wrong
I was not a fan of GY for off road tires but when I got smoking deal on the new MTR-K's that I now have I could not say no and I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that they out perform BFG KM2's
I walked out of quit a few washes that 2 guys running KM2's had to "work at" getting out of

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have seen those in store in Canadian Tire... they looked pretty neat but havent tried em so i cant really answer your question... Thing is.... it still 165$/ tire average which is way lower then any other ones ....

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
No I have not heard of them
how ever Goodyear has just released a wide range of new tires and is phasing out a bunch of the old
They have a good reputation as a solid tire company so if you buy the right tires for the right job you really can not go wrong
I was not a fan of GY for off road tires but when I got smoking deal on the new MTR-K's that I now have I could not say no and I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that they out perform BFG KM2's
I walked out of quit a few washes that 2 guys running KM2's had to "work at" getting out of

Cool!
Like I said earlier, I have thought of buying Goodyear MTR tires. I also am thinking of the MTR Kevlar for what it's worth.
It's not like I'm wealthy or anything, but if I'm going to buy tires, I'd like opinions and such so I can spend my cash wisely!

So... At the end of the day, no matter what tire I buy, I'm going to hold all of you guy's accountable for my bad choice of tire purchase!:D:D:D
Then have a big old ***** sesion about how all of you mi-lead me in my choice!:D:D:D

Jusk kidding!:D

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always kinda liked the stock Wangler tires that came with the off-road package on my '02 Limited. They were a little squirrelly in the rain, but they were a good decent snow tire and highway tire.

Andy

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool!
Like I said earlier, I have thought of buying Goodyear MTR tires. I also am thinking of the MTR Kevlar for what it's worth.
It's not like I'm wealthy or anything, but if I'm going to buy tires, I'd like opinions and such so I can spend my cash wisely!

So... At the end of the day, no matter what tire I buy, I'm going to hold all of you guy's accountable for my bad choice of tire purchase!:D:D:D
Then have a big old ***** sesion about how all of you mi-lead me in my choice!:D:D:D

Jusk kidding!:D

MTR-K
worth every dime
If they last the 40K+ we got out of the old style MTR's on the KJ that would be great
great wet traction ,we are talking about a Detroit locked ,lifted and moded TJ so it is not really comparable to a KJ on road but the tire noise is MUCH less on the TJ than the KJ and I can not spin the MTR-K's even when power breaking ,I just push the front forward
off road ,like I said they are great
I have no clue about snow , it may snow once every 5 years where I live and even then I am probably driving my work truck

I am about 99% sure we will be putting the MTR-K's on the KJ
in a 245/75 on stock wheels at the end of the year
if this helps any

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Ryan, see if you can the GWT at Sears, as they should have a "trade em if you don't like em policy". That's what I did at the Sears in Maine when I bought my (blarg) Michelin ATX tires (blarg) and then took them back in a months(30 days) time to trade them in on the BFG's.

See if you can find a tire dealer that carries the tires you want and has that kind of trade in policy. Mind you they will probably charge you a " restocking" fee for this service.

Oh BTW...I have seen the Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires at Crappy Tire too....to answer your original question.:p

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Good advice ever body!
I didn't want to quote everybody here, but it was only a question!
Not sure what tires I'm buying yet!
Goodyear MTR-K or those Kumho Road Venture MT (KL71). May as well be a Guinea pig Eh?
If they totally suck everybody here can mock me until I have no hair left!:D
We will see!

Thanks guys

Ryan