Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What, the Firestone A/T is/has more aggressive tread than a Goodyear Silent Armour?
Really?

That's just a matter of opinion!

As far as tread depth, both tires (if you compare 245-70-16's with comparable load range) have the same tread depth! 13/32"!
Oh, and the Goodyear Silent Armour also have a higher treadwear rating compared to the Firestone!

Not really comparing apples to apples here!

$708.00 for 4 Goodyear Silent Armour
$536.00 for 4 Firestone Destination A/T
The only advantage the Firestone has is that they are $43.00 cheaper each than the Goodyear.
Personally I'd spend that extra $43.00 per tire for a better tire!

First I was comparing the Firestone Transforce A/T
Second I live in the real world not paper
Yes they started out the same
but the G/Y's are wearing much faster

I like my MTR-K's better than any tire I have owned
But as far as a DD tire I would not own them

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running a set of GY Wrangler SA 245/75R16 Load C's for 4 years. I don't do any off roading, but I do get into some pretty good amounts of ice and snow. They have performed very well for my needs. I'm going on 1 last trip to Snowshoe with them this weekend. I'm going to have a set of 245/75R16 C Duratracs installed next week when I get back.
how many miles do you have on em? How much tread do you have left? I have about 8 on mine, and they still look brand new :smokin:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles do you have on em? How much tread do you have left? I have about 8 on mine, and they still look brand new :smokin:

About 35K. They have about half the tread left on them. They still work well, but aren't gripping like they used to.

Slava

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I joined the club! Here are mine Silent Armors. Will keep updating how they perform :smokin:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Slava

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First impression:
- Little bit louder
- Little bit rougher ride
I drove on-road and the difference between stock HP's and those is understandable because HP's are more highway tires while Silent Armors are more AT-tires.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire shop was supposed to have 5 of the Duratracs, but only had 3, so I ended up going with another set of SA's. I went with 265/70R16's this time. I need to do just a little more trimming behind the fog lamps now. I really like the stance with them on the Rubicon rims though.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pics. The tires seem bulge just a little bit at the bottom. Should I inflate them a little more? They're at 33 psi, which is what the door sticker says, but they look a little low to me.

Attachments

• IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 13

Renedave

Reaction score
The door sticker is only good for the stock tires, once you change to a different tire you've got to adjust the air pressure based on the max PSI and load ratings for it.

(OEM Tire PSI / OEM Tire Load Rating) = (New Tire PSI / New Tire Load Rating)

You can also figure a rough good PSI rating for a tire by using the same ratio of a third of the curb weight (giving a good fudging cushion for both the extra driving weight and in case you lift a tire) to the tire's max load rating and applying that to the tire's max PSI rating.

(Curb Weight / 3) / (Max Tire Load) = (Rough Good PSI) / (Max Tire PSI)

Solving for the PSI you want:

(Rough Good PSI) = ( (Curb Weight) * (Max Tire PSI) ) / ( 3 * (Max Tire Load) )

From there I tweak up or down based upon ride quality, fuel mileage, and tire wear pattern.

I picked up a set of Goodyear SA 255/70R16 on Moabs in a trade. I still have a fairly new set of Firestone Destination AT 245/75R16 on stock Renegade rims, and I have no desire to go back.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The door sticker is only good for the stock tires, once you change to a different tire you've got to adjust the air pressure based on the max PSI and load ratings for it.

(OEM Tire PSI / OEM Tire Load Rating) = (New Tire PSI / New Tire Load Rating)

You can also figure a rough good PSI rating for a tire by using the same ratio of a third of the curb weight (giving a good fudging cushion for both the extra driving weight and in case you lift a tire) to the tire's max load rating and applying that to the tire's max PSI rating.

(Curb Weight / 3) / (Max Tire Load) = (Rough Good PSI) / (Max Tire PSI)

Solving for the PSI you want:

(Rough Good PSI) = ( (Curb Weight) * (Max Tire PSI) ) / ( 3 * (Max Tire Load) )

From there I tweak up or down based upon ride quality, fuel mileage, and tire wear pattern.

I picked up a set of Goodyear SA 255/70R16 on Moabs in a trade. I still have a fairly new set of Firestone Destination AT 245/75R16 on stock Renegade rims, and I have no desire to go back.

Thanks, as an experiment, bumped up the PSI up to 35 yesterday, and the handling seems better, bulges maybe a little smaller and the ride is a little stiffer—all OK with me. The max psi for the tire is 44.

I ran the numbers w/the formula above and got a rough psi of about 30, which seems a little on the low side, but you did say "rough"

Anyone out there running these higher than 33 psi?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
A little more air helps in fuel mileage.
I have tried the GY SA's up to 42 psi but found that was too hard a ride!
42564[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

So I now run down the bare road at 38 psi and it feels right.
Snow I use 34 psi.

Attachments

• RunningVehicle.gif
    RunningVehicle.gif
    137 KB · Views: 0

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little more air helps in fuel mileage.
I have tried the GY SA's up to 42 psi but found that was too hard a ride!
42566[/ATTACH]"]

So I now run down the bare road at 38 psi and it feels right.
Snow I use 34 psi.

Thanks. After a bit of driving at 35, it seems better than 33. I just wasn't sure how high I could go. The 44 max psi is when cold , right? So in theory, I could fill them to 44, even though they would exceed that once heated up? Not that I'd want to go that high, but I might try closer to 38 for bare roads like you said:favorites13:

Attachments

• RunningVehicle.gif
    RunningVehicle.gif
    137 KB · Views: 0

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tires are rated for X load at 44psi
Your KJ weighs on average Y
Do the math
Here are some easy numbers
Say your tires are rated for 2000# at 44psi
And your KJ weighs 4000#
You have 8000# worth of tire and only 4000#
load so by way of math you tire psi should be 22 for best
ride quality +5 for mpg
Now I know your KJ weighs more than 4K#
I also know that your tires are probably rated for
less than 2000# each but you get the idea

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
38psi? I have been using the 33psi with mine for about 6k miles. Now I think Im going to bump them up to 35-38psi based on what you guys are saying.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I['ve been running mine at 35psi. No other real reason except that's what my cycle tires get, so it's just easier to remember the same pressure for both. Seems to ride and handle fine.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tire pressure is always based setting them when COLD
42570[/ATTACH]"]

Check the pressure weekly (like the oil)
and you wont have to worry about tires popping.. and making a bad note~!

Attachments

• PlaysADifferentTune.jpg
    PlaysADifferentTune.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire pressure is always based setting them when COLD
42577[/ATTACH]"]

Check the pressure weekly (like the oil)
and you wont have to worry about tires popping.. and making a bad note~!

Poor keyboard(dropmouth)

Attachments

• PlaysADifferentTune.jpg
    PlaysADifferentTune.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 0

jasond37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had SR-A's on my 07 from the factory, 235/70/16. I thought they were a really good every day tire, they were quite and got me out of a few minor jams in the snow. We got about 74,000 miles on them before a cracked sidewall on the drivers front caused a flat, the rest had some bad cracks on the sidewalls too. My wife mainly drove it for the first 65,000 miles, then we bought her a car. If I didn't want to get a more 'manly tire' I would have bought the SR-A's again. I replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, 225/75/16.

I need to open my eyes...I was thinking SR-A's for some dumb reason when I read the title.

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got some real snow on the ground. I'm pleasantly pleased with the performance of the Silent Armors in the white stuff.
Worked at 5am this morning so I was out before the plows. Some areas where drifted deep, but the tires gripped and rolled right thru. Much better than the Coopers I was running last winter.