Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm getting these installed tomorrow. For those who have them, what do you think? Most of the ratings on tirerack are good, but I was reading some reviews on another tire site, and some weren't so great. One review would say, "these are the best tires ever" and then the very next would say "worst tires ever." Since I'm driving the Jeep mainly in the winter, I want a tire that won't give me any trouble in the snow/slush/etc.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are great. I have about 6k on them, with no noticeable wear. I had my crappy stock tires with no tread last snow season, and I never got stuck. I was in snow over my bumper too. Cant wait to test them out whenever it snows. Plus they made the jeep look like a different vehicle.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are great. I have about 6k on them, with no noticeable wear. I had my crappy stock tires with no tread last snow season, and I never got stuck. I was in snow over my bumper too. Cant wait to test them out whenever it snows. Plus they made the jeep look like a different vehicle.

Good to know, thanks! Most of the Jeep drivers with these tires on TireRack posted good reviews. Maybe some of the poor reviews were coming from drivers of other vehicles. I think I'm gonna like the more aggressive look (Cheers) Will post some pics later if all goes well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They are an OK tire for street use like I stated in another thread, not aggressive at all but will work for you if you are not really going to use 4 wheel drive for nothing more than driving to work, the mall etc.
If TBJ were still on here he'd say buy man tires !:happy175:

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"More aggressive look"???
They just look like everyday all season radial tires!

Well, compared to the regular-looking tires that came with it, they look pretty good. I guess they're not so agressive looking compared to "man tires" :Big Laugh:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes compared to what comes on them ANYTHING looks better
I couldn't wait to get the stockers off mine. I would have to switch to 4WD if the roads were wet to take off from a stop light:happy175:
Went to Firestone Destination ATs first since I was never going to mod mine or take it off road much. :happy175:That didn't last long I ran them 12-15,000 miles I think and they had to go!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I will say is this
4 G/Y's like those cost = $1300+
4 Firestones cost = $800 +
Same truck ,same size, both AT's
Firestones have 20K more than the G/Y's with the same
tread depth if not more
Oh and the Firestones are more aggressive
Or more "manly"

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
All I will say is this
4 G/Y's like those cost = $1300+
4 Firestones cost = $800 +
Same truck ,same size, both AT's
Firestones have 20K more than the G/Y's with the same
tread depth if not more
Oh and the Firestones are more aggressive
Or more "manly"

What, the Firestone A/T is/has more aggressive tread than a Goodyear Silent Armour?
Really?

That's just a matter of opinion!

As far as tread depth, both tires (if you compare 245-70-16's with comparable load range) have the same tread depth! 13/32"!
Oh, and the Goodyear Silent Armour also have a higher treadwear rating compared to the Firestone!

Not really comparing apples to apples here!

$708.00 for 4 Goodyear Silent Armour
$536.00 for 4 Firestone Destination A/T
The only advantage the Firestone has is that they are $43.00 cheaper each than the Goodyear.
Personally I'd spend that extra $43.00 per tire for a better tire!

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, the GYs were a little pricier, but Ry's post was pretty accurate, price wise. Mine were nowhere near 1300 bucks, which is a good thing:happy107:

Here's another quick question: What psi are you inflating to? The invoice the shop gave me says recommended psi is 33 all around. I think the max printed on the tire is 44. I'm looking for best fuel mileage and tire wear.

Edit: Door sticker says 33 psi, too, so guess that's what I'll go with

Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about where this tread wear data is from, but I have seen plenty of work trucks with them on. One municipality by me has them on all of their public works trucks. Why? Because they are a good tire and they get a ton of miles off of them.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about where this tread wear data is from, but I have seen plenty of work trucks with them on. One municipality by me has them on all of their public works trucks. Why? Because they are a good tire and they get a ton of miles off of them.

So far they seem great. I was on the freeway today, and they weren't very noisy, and no problems with the balancing. I found an article from a few years back about how the NY State Police are running them on their SUVs.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they will last. They are great for what my needs are. So are you going to run a 33psi or have you found out a better pressure?

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they will last. They are great for what my needs are. So are you going to run a 33psi or have you found out a better pressure?

Guess I will just stick with 33 since that's what's on the door sticker...unless anyone has a better recommendation?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running GY Silent Armors since May. Been really good in the rain, good enough for all the off-roading I do, and were pretty good with the small amount of snow we've had this year. Have yet to see how they do with real snow on the ground.

I was going to get something a bit meatier, but stumbled upon a deal for the SAs. Five tires for $105 each, for that price I couldn't afford not to get them.

Slava

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will join Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor club by the end of this week :). Will see how they will perform at winter because my main reason to go with them was snowflake symbol :). $1300 for 4 tires doesn't seem too much for me. My Limited has 17" rims so I had to go with 245/65R17 and with installation, balancing, taxes I'll pay around $1200.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will join Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor club by the end of this week :). Will see how they will perform at winter because my main reason to go with them was snowflake symbol :). $1300 for 4 tires doesn't seem too much for me. My Limited has 17" rims so I had to go with 245/65R17 and with installation, balancing, taxes I'll pay around $1200.

Nice:waytogo: Let me know how you like 'em. We don't get a ton of snow here in Cleveland, but sometimes we really get hammered. The city take a while to plow my street, so I'm hoping these will get me through that no problem. I might not even have to plow the driveway anymore:party52:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running a set of GY Wrangler SA 245/75R16 Load C's for 4 years. I don't do any off roading, but I do get into some pretty good amounts of ice and snow. They have performed very well for my needs. I'm going on 1 last trip to Snowshoe with them this weekend. I'm going to have a set of 245/75R16 C Duratracs installed next week when I get back.