going to blank the egr vacume

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmmark

Reaction score
Going to blank the vacume on the egr and see how it runs for a week or 2 its the Uk spec 2.8 interested to see the mpg figures to and from work .has anyone else tried this :gr_grin:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to blank the vacume on the egr and see how it runs for a week or 2 its the Uk spec 2.8 interested to see the mpg figures to and from work .has anyone else tried this :gr_grin:

Yes I did it a long time ago on my 2002 2.5 Export CRD.

Definitely seems to have more power when I am doing about 70 mph and topping a long hill on the open freeway.

What I did is remove the small rubber pipe off the outer circumfrence of the vacuum solenoid and screw a small self-tapping screw into the nipple sticking up from the plastic body...then put the pipe back over the screw head to hide it.

You have to hope that your EGR is not stuck open before you do this mod!

What year model is your 2.8 CRD?

As far as I know you can only do this up to 2004 Export models...after that I believe the 2.8 Export is the same as the USA models with a variable-vane turbo and a MAF sensor on the air-box which means this simple fix of ours will no longer work!

Last edited:

ktmmark

Reaction score
2004 so should be ok and car runs well so egr valve working ok
time will tell :)

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a bit more complicated on the 2005+ models, but its been done successfully - there are threads on Ausjeep (by Glend) about it.

Karlosfandango

Reaction score
Did this to mine last weekend. It's a 2004 2.8 so just pulled the tube from the top of the solenoid and popped a self tapper in as mentioned above. Haven't really had the chance to properly test it yet but I'm hoping it can only improve the mpg. Is there any way to tell if the EGR is stuck open?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this to mine last weekend. It's a 2004 2.8 so just pulled the tube from the top of the solenoid and popped a self tapper in as mentioned above. Haven't really had the chance to properly test it yet but I'm hoping it can only improve the mpg. Is there any way to tell if the EGR is stuck open?

If it performs well then the EGR is probably in the closed position.
I do not know about economy but my 2002 CRD definitely performs better at full throttle when going over hills at high speed with the EGR disabled....used to wheeze a bit and run out of steam before.

I really do not like the idea of pumping hot sooty exhaust gas directly into my intake manifold!:icon_cool: