going crazy with tire choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liby3

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am go crazy trying to figure out what size tire to put on the jeep. I currently have 235/70R16s on moabs with a 2in lift. 3.7, auto trans, limited slip, and 3.73 gears. I think they look weird since the jeep is sittin tall but it has baby shoes on.
They are currently highway tires and I know that is part of it since highway tires always look smaller than a/ts. It is my daily driver and gets a lot of highway/freeway driving, but I also like to go offroad every once in a while or go camping or shooting.

Since I am a college student with little money, I need a tire size that will still get me close to what I am getting now for mpg (19 or so) as well as not turn the jeep into a total dog. I am not planning on regearing in the future nor do I want to. I was looking on here and it seems most people use 245/75 and 255/70. I never seem to see much on 235/75 though. Is it because they are skinnier and don't look as good? What size would y'all recommend?

Also what tires would you recommend? I would like to stay below $150 each if at all possible.They need to do good in snow and dirt (don't really do mud) as well as road wear. I was looking at a couple: Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Dick Cepek Trail Country, and Grabber AT2
Thanks

This is my first really post so give me a break if I mess up somewhere. :baby:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am go crazy trying to figure out what size tire to put on the jeep. I currently have 235/70R16s on moabs with a 2in lift. 3.7, auto trans, limited slip, and 3.73 gears. I think they look weird since the jeep is sittin tall but it has baby shoes on.
They are currently highway tires and I know that is part of it since highway tires always look smaller than a/ts. It is my daily driver and gets a lot of highway/freeway driving, but I also like to go offroad every once in a while or go camping or shooting.

Since I am a college student with little money, I need a tire size that will still get me close to what I am getting now for mpg (19 or so) as well as not turn the jeep into a total dog. I am not planning on regearing in the future nor do I want to. I was looking on here and it seems most people use 245/75 and 255/70. I never seem to see much on 235/75 though. Is it because they are skinnier and don't look as good? What size would y'all recommend?

Also what tires would you recommend? I would like to stay below $150 each if at all possible.They need to do good in snow and dirt (don't really do mud) as well as road wear. I was looking at a couple: Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Dick Cepek Trail Country, and Grabber AT2
Thanks

This is my first really post so give me a break if I mess up somewhere. :baby:

First what lift do you have and what are the actual measurements ( middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front)
Spring lift or spacer?
With only a 2 inch lift, if that is what you actually have over new stock height, a 245-75-16 maybe a bit big
I would stay with something in the 30 inch over all height, you'll lose some mileage but not too much as you would going bigger. so the 255-70-16 would ( or should ) work .
As far as brands , I would go for the Cooper A/T3 out of the ones posted for over all performance/ handling etc from what you say you want out of the ones you listed. Cepeks are made by Cooper so they would be a close second
You'd also have to bend over pinch welds etc with larger sizes
Before I say anything else I will wait to see how tall you actually are then can give a better answer
Would be good to post year, what lift etc at the bottom so people can give better answers up front.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Coopers are a good tire in that price range. The Dick Cepek ones are probably good too, never seen anyone with them here though.

If you're actually at 2" above stock height (so in the 21.5-22" fender flare to hub measurement), 245/75/16 will work fine. I run 245/70/17s which would be the same and I'm in that lift range. No rubbing, haven't touched the pinchweld.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coopers are a good tire in that price range. The Dick Cepek ones are probably good too, never seen anyone with them here though.

If you're actually at 2" above stock height (so in the 21.5-22" fender flare to hub measurement), 245/75/16 will work fine. I run 245/70/17s which would be the same and I'm in that lift range. No rubbing, haven't touched the pinchweld.

2" above stock is only 21"
3" of lift is 22"

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Cooper Discoverer RTXs on my Liberty, and love them. They have a bit of whine at highway speed, but it's not bad. Rides nice on the highway and seems decent in the dirt as well.

liby3

Reaction score
First what lift do you have and what are the actual measurements ( middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare in front)
Spring lift or spacer?
With only a 2 inch lift, if that is what you actually have over new stock height, a 245-75-16 maybe a bit big
I would stay with something in the 30 inch over all height, you'll lose some mileage but not too much as you would going bigger. so the 255-70-16 would ( or should ) work .
As far as brands , I would go for the Cooper A/T3 out of the ones posted for over all performance/ handling etc from what you say you want out of the ones you listed. Cepeks are made by Cooper so they would be a close second
You'd also have to bend over pinch welds etc with larger sizes
Before I say anything else I will wait to see how tall you actually are then can give a better answer
Would be good to post year, what lift etc at the bottom so people can give better answers up front.

OK, sorry for the wait. They are upper spacers. I don't know the brand, installed by previous owner. I measured and got a little above 20.5in. So could I safely run 255-70s and if so would I still need to bound in the pinch weld?
As for brand thats good to hear especially since the Cooper A/T3s are a tad cheaper.
Thanks everybody for the quick responses

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, sorry for the wait. They are upper spacers. I don't know the brand, installed by previous owner. I measured and got a little above 20.5in. So could I safely run 255-70s and if so would I still need to bound in the pinch weld?
As for brand thats good to hear especially since the Cooper A/T3s are a tad cheaper.

You definitely aren't at 2" of lift
More like 1.5" so you're pretty limited to tire size I'd say
I'd just go slightly bigger than stock size, you won't have to trim stuff, lose gas mileage, or pay much for them

Oh and also you're on stock suspension so you'll continue to sag eventually back to stock height and may run into issues with the tires at that point

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd go 245/70. It'll be a nice improvement over stock and won't have many negative impacts.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

You have 1.5 inches of lift not 2 so its going to be close with even 255-70-16s
I would have one mounted and then installed just to see if they will do it for you.
But like mentioned 245-70-16s would be a lot better choice

NOW since it has that style lift, you need bumpstops up front, problem is you're so low the ones we use are too much

liby3

Reaction score
OK! Thanks so much for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I will start to look for some 245/70s then. While at the tire shop I'll ask if they can humor me and put on a bigger size just for Sh**s and gigs.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're really wanting a slightly bigger tire you could always add clevis lift and a rear iso
You'd be looking at around $30-$40 for it and then you wouldn't have to worry about it

Members online

No members online now.