Gentlemen, Take Off Your Mufflers!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed!
The good part is you will get accustomed to the sounds, where you will no longer need to look at rpm dial !!
The bad news is you may then want a louder sound system!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"constipated muffler"...ha ha YUP!
I wonder how many MPG better I will get if I swap to the 44 off road?
He has a CRD,no need for back pressure,or a muffler,as the turbo serves to fullfill both of those jobs and a muffler,any muffler,just acts as to much back pressure.

Apples to oranges on that one.

It's not so much as the loss of back pressure is really a bad thing(it is somewhat, it's getting the exhaust pulses out of wack,which the OEM exhaust system is tuned for.Yes I've modified my system and yes it has drastically effected power and no not in a good way but it had to be done.It would take thousands of dollars on a dyno,and parts/labor, to get the lost power back.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Troy, you saying just by changing the muffler, I am going to suffer a loss of power, with exhaust pulses out of whack?
If it is that far out of whack the CE light must come on then.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troy, you saying just by changing the muffler, I am going to suffer a loss of power, with exhaust pulses out of whack?
If it is that far out of whack the CE light must come on then.
Your never going to get a MIL for changing the exhaust pulses,just lack of power or if you spend some time on a dino a increase in power.If the muffler you put on has the same length,internally,as the OEM one no change in the pulse.

More reffering to some of us you must drastically change the exhaust for clearance issues.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok good info Troy! The length of the OEM muffler is huge, the new one would be half the length aprox, would have to get tape measure.
So what is required with KJ on the dino as far as tuning is concerned, to regain the power?
I am guessing here but it would be re-programming PCM or another chip or what?

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I don't think there is much ability to dyno tune a KJ. Changing the timing or shift points is all you could really do, that is, if someone makes a tuner that you can edit parameters on. A muffler won't give you any problems.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok good info Troy! The length of the OEM muffler is huge, the new one would be half the length aprox, would have to get tape measure.
So what is required with KJ on the dino as far as tuning is concerned, to regain the power?
I am guessing here but it would be re-programming PCM or another chip or what?
No PCM tuning involved.It's how the exhuast system is designed,how this bend goes and how long,might need to shorten or lengthen,or increase or decrease pipe diameter and it all needs to fit in the space available.

Ever here the long fights from old timers and young guys at the drag strip over equal length and unequal length headers?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow that sounds way too complicated and expensive.
Sounds like you need a one stop muffler & dino shop. Cut hack dino, repeat numerous times
I understand the ole school as far as headers, free flow, sun pro timing curves etc.
But this new stuff has me "baffled". (LOL)
How installing a new muffler changes pulses and creates a loss of power and the solution sounds like replace the muffler with the same length in a more free flow then...nuts.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow that sounds way too complicated and expensive.
Sounds like you need a one stop muffler & dino shop. Cut hack dino, repeat numerous times
I understand the ole school as far as headers, free flow, sun pro timing curves etc.
But this new stuff has me "baffled". (LOL)
How installing a new muffler changes pulses and creates a loss of power and the solution sounds like replace the muffler with the same length in a more free flow then...nuts.
And poeple wonder why the headers for the 3.7 cost $500,took alot of $$$ and time to get a performance increase instead of a decrease.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has a CRD,no need for back pressure,or a muffler,as the turbo serves to fullfill both of those jobs and a muffler,any muffler,just acts as to much back pressure.

Apples to oranges on that one.

Exactly. Several CRD owners have simply straight-piped the beast. Some have even went as far as to "gut the cat" and leave the housing in place - little bit radical for my taste, I'd like to make sure it'd pass inspection if they get really snotty about diesels. Same with having something resembling a muffler in the exhaust - state might change it's mind one day and decide a turbo no longer counts as a muffler.

Almost hilarious, the first local shop I went to back in NC that carried Aeroturbines. First guy I talked to started ranting and raving against them, saying I'd screw up my backpressure and burn up my valves, trying to get me to buy a Dynomax and put on it. Halfway thru, his partner came out and listened in for a couple minutes, then interrupted him with "Hey dumb:favorites68:, he's got a DIESEL!!!":happy175: