Gentlemen, Take Off Your Mufflers!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say this to every one of you out there that has male gentitalia.

If you are a man and you like loud loud loud ass exhaust, take off your muffler and go.

OMG seriously everyone needs to do it, even if its just for a short cruise around town.

Its absolutely fun!

I'll snap some video and embed it here tomorrow evening for an example, but serious jsut go do it. Its worth the 20 minutes to swap the muffler on/off.

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had that happen where a muffler sort of just fell off of an old **** of a car that I was driving. It was funny as hell the way people look at you when you go by. O:)

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reload40s said:
I have had that happen where a muffler sort of just fell off of an old **** of a car that I was driving. It was funny as hell the way people look at you when you go by. O:)

The liberty sounds hot at 2500 rpms with no muffler, but after that everone knows you took it off.

billweaponsman

Reaction score
a 74 CJ-5 304 V-8 with headers and straight through mufflers that exit in front of the rear wheels was pretty intense in the old days. Wow1.gif

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
how do you take it off, I think bennett did that and shot a video once, or was it something else like new exhaust system.. I don't remember, maybe take it off and replace with something louder than original one.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
how do you take it off, I think bennett did that and shot a video once, or was it something else like new exhaust system.. I don't remember, maybe take it off and replace with something louder than original one.

Bennett shot a short video of the magnflow in vehicle sound.

To remove the stock muffler you just remove two nuts and its off.

Heres a few pics....

You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Allright, looking forward to the video.

Looks like it is easy to take off. I would like to try it, but is it easy to screw back on :) I have no idea about these muffler stuff.. sorry. 8-[

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Allright, looking forward to the video.

Looks like it is easy to take off. I would like to try it, but is it easy to screw back on :) I have no idea about these muffler stuff.. sorry. 8-[

It takes less than 10 minutes to completely take it off. The nuts might be a little stuck but there is tons of room around them to get at em.

07KJ16

Reaction score
I managed to get the nuts off and the muffler is just dangling now. How do I get the whole muffler-pipe off the hinge? Is it screwed down or do I have to knock it out of a socket with a hammer? That's what it looks like you would do in the picture. (Sounds awesome by the way, at least imo. My KJ doesn't pop at all at any rpm's).

iMTB

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
I did this for a few days. V6 engines sound like garbage, but I enjoyed it. Just loosen it and slide the muffler back a couple inches. The bolt threads will keep the muffler from dangling if you keep them part way in the holes.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just loosened it, pretty fun sounding. Next step is to get a real exhaust :D How does no muffler affect gas mpgs?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 3.7s like to have some back pressure
no muffler will get you loud "noise" and no power and not great gas mileage

Tony

Reaction score
yes, you dont want to loose back presser on the 3.7 youll get alittle extra high end but nothing worth it, and your low end will suffer. and who realy drives fast in a liberty anyway? the low end tourqe is one of its best features.

but then again i gess it is fun with a little rumble coming out the back, just slap a 40 series flowmaster on her, that should do the trick.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a feeling the super 44 (off road) will go on if I disconnect the stock muffler!
40844[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• FlowMasterOffRoadMuffler25.jpg
    FlowMasterOffRoadMuffler25.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1

Tony

Reaction score
I got a feeling the super 44 (off road) will go on if I disconnect the stock muffler!
40846[/ATTACH]"]

i like that!! were did you find that at?

Attachments

• FlowMasterOffRoadMuffler25.jpg
    FlowMasterOffRoadMuffler25.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arise Lazarus, your 5 year old thread has been resurrected!:gr_grin:

Even a Schlitz beer can would be an improvement over the Chrysler stock muffler.

That's the first mod I ever did to my KJ CRD - not two weeks after picking it up, ditching the stock muffler and putting in an Aeroturbine straight-thru muffler - I was flabbergasted when I discovered that DC had put the same constipated muffler they used on a 2.4 L four ****** on my diesel.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
"constipated muffler"...ha ha YUP!
I wonder how many MPG better I will get if I swap to the 44 off road?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not much, because you'll floor it just to hear how nice it sounds. :D