Generator Bearing?..............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if anyone's alternator (generator) has the "decoupler" on the pulley where the serpentine belt goes round? The decoupler is like a one way clutch instead of a fixed pulley. The reason being is that I have always had a very slight "tapping" noise when the engine is running (2.4 Petrol) and I thought it was the serpentine belt tensioner pulley so I took the belt off today to check it but that is nice and smooth and quiet so started looking elsewhere and checking AC compressor and power steering pump etc. The power steering pump has a minute amount of "endfloat" but not enough to cause the tapping I can hear but the alternator (generator) has what I would class as being excessive end float in the bearing on the decoupler and wondered if this was normal? The good thing is I finally found out what the hissing noise is when I turn the engine off. The alternator keeps spinning on the one way clutch "decoupler" for a few seconds after the engine has stopped causing a hissing noise. Anyone know if this is normal as well? As when you spin the alternator by hand it is quite noisy? Don't know whether its supposed to sound like that or whether it is the decoupler or the rear alternator bearing on its way out? Comments please? Cheers, Steve :smokin:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wanted to know if anyone's alternator (generator) has the "decoupler" on the pulley where the serpentine belt goes round? The decoupler is like a one way clutch instead of a fixed pulley. The reason being is that I have always had a very slight "tapping" noise when the engine is running (2.4 Petrol) and I thought it was the serpentine belt tensioner pulley so I took the belt off today to check it but that is nice and smooth and quiet so started looking elsewhere and checking AC compressor and power steering pump etc. The power steering pump has a minute amount of "endfloat" but not enough to cause the tapping I can hear but the alternator (generator) has what I would class as being excessive end float in the bearing on the decoupler and wondered if this was normal? The good thing is I finally found out what the hissing noise is when I turn the engine off. The alternator keeps spinning on the one way clutch "decoupler" for a few seconds after the engine has stopped causing a hissing noise. Anyone know if this is normal as well? As when you spin the alternator by hand it is quite noisy? Don't know whether its supposed to sound like that or whether it is the decoupler or the rear alternator bearing on its way out? Comments please? Cheers, Steve :smokin:

Thought I would answer this myself seeing as nobody else did. Hehe. No its not normal and Jeep can't supply the decoupler seperate and if they could it would be about £80. The good news is that a complete alternator (with the decoupler) is only £120 so fit the new alternator yesterday and no more noise or hissing when it gets turned off. Thanx for your assistance, Steve :happy175:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damaged bearings, for example, can cause loss of the generator, leading to unplanned downtime and costly repairs. If during the month of 1.5 MW generator will not exceed $ 48,000 in lost revenue, and expects that parts of two months is not realistic in the short, as the global shortage of bearings and other critical components.

WTF are you talking about? :shrug:

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spammer. He's been banned. Interesting how the messages (6 of them) were context-sensitive to the thread, although not intelligently so :)

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spammer. He's been banned. Interesting how the messages (6 of them) were context-sensitive to the thread, although not intelligently so :)

Thought I was going daft!!
Either that or he has been talking to Christina Aguilera and got the words wrong?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :disgust: :smokin: