General Grabber AT2 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I am tired of buying tires that don't last on treadwear. So I am going with something with a real warranty and good life reviews.

I have an 07 sport with no lift, that has the 16" wheels with chrome wheel covers.

I don't plan to change any of that. I drive a crap load every day and sometimes get offroad daily too. This is all in the course of my every day WORK.

I don't want to change my wheels or wheel covers. These are the perfect setup for me. I can pull the caps at-will if what is ahead looks bad and put them back after I hit the car wash. Perfect dual purpose for me.

So these tires say something about rim protectors. My ATV tires have this and I like it.

But is this going to interfere in any way with me running my wheel covers?

Anyone running these tires with the wheel covers?

If you are, do the covers make clicking noises? For some reason mine did with the Wrangler ST's and don't with my current tires. I don't want that sound back rolling through parking lots.

What size is OK to run on the 2007 models? With my current set of tires I switched to a 235/70R16 per advice of my tire guy and like them better than the 225/75R16 size I ran before. So I am sorta trying to decide rather to stick with 235/70 or go back to OEM size or step up to 245/70. I don't want any rubbing problems.

I also don't want a lot of noise or rock problems. I DRIVE A LOT DAILY. I spend 5+ hours a day behind the wheel of the Jeep. The way I look at it, if I were going to have to live with a bunch of noise I'd get mud tires for more traction and no rock holding. I actually went away from street tires because the tread void was just enough to hold small rocks I run over off pavement and make noise when I get back on.

I'm looking at...
General Grabber AT2
Kelly Edge AT (looks like a rock trap)
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Falken Wildpeak ATW3
Nexen Roadian AT Pro
Goodyear Trailrunner AT (new no reviews)
Goodyear Trailmark AT (rather buy from my guy than Walmart though)

I'd consider BFG AT versions too. But they don't have a treadwear warranty, don't seem to me "superior" to the above tires, and from window shopping pricing online it seems like they cost a lot more without offering more.

All in all the General Grabber AT2 is on top of my list. But it is not the only choice I have in mind if there are noise issues, or interference with my wheel cover clips.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was really wanting the Grabbers
But for the cost of a set of 5 and me GUESSING if they'll be a good tire, I can get 5 Goodyears similar to the Duratrac for not much more and KNOW they'll be good
Let's just say I can get all 5 tires and wheels under $1k so that's a heck of a deal if you ask me
I love the look of the Grabbers and they look almost exactly like the BFG, but you're taking a hefty gamble on if they'll perform well
You get what you pay for here, and you definitely don't want to cheap out on tires
That's why the Duratracs are one of the best A/Ts, but they're too much for what I want to spend
I'd go with something you know deep down will be a good all around tire

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dura Tracs last pretty long, should go 50k+. General Grabbers, at least to me don't look much like BFGs but probably aren't as long lived as Duratracs.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
235/70/16 is also an OEM tire size. That's what came on my KJ. No issues with rubbing there unless you stock suspension is extremely sagged.

As for the grabbers. They have mixed reviews. Lots of guys say they love them. I personally have read bad things about the sidewalls. They cut too easily. So maybe it depends what you want to do with them. If to you off roading means a packed graded gravel road they may be fine. But if you get into loose sharp rock you may have trouble.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am running 235/70 size tires now. There is indeed no rubbing at all period.

I like this size much better than the 225/75 size I ran on sets prior. I don't have the clicking noise from the caps and the feel seems better as well. I think it is the extra bit of width.

I was considering going ahead from 235/70 to 245/70 which is a tick wider and a tick taller. It seems like there is mixed feedback on 245/70 clearing. I wondered if it depended on year. Mine is a 2007 and I would hate to deal with rubbing over the little tick of width and height I would gain.

I have some Goodyears in my list. The one set is a walmart exclusive it looks like, and I really hate to support walmart over my local guy. He can get the others like the Kelly Edge AT or the new Goodyear Trailrunner AT. I just can't find much reviews on those.

I will tell you this though, the General Grabber AT2 I have been able to find plenty of good reviews on performance and wear.

In my world though, I have serious question marks on the wear part though. My liberty wears tires nice and even. And I have worn every set down to the treadwear indicators or worse. My Jeep now has 142k on it I think and this is the 5TH set of tires I have turned to 4 slicks. Goodyear ST, Hankook, Goodyear ST, Goodyear ST, Sailun Terramax HT.

I know the previous tires weren't known for great wear. I was just trying to stick to an OEM size. The Sailun Terramax HT tires lasted the longest out of any of those and offer the best traction. Although not an AT or an MT, I would buy them again, except to me this pattern of wear thus far just is not worth it. I'd rather pay more and get something that lasts twice as long. Cheaper in the long run. The last tires were considered a 50k tire, but I am going to go with something that has a dang warranty to back up the claim... ya know?

Anyways, I will go ahead and price the BFG's through my guy and see how the pricing is.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots and lots of tires out there better than the BFGs and for better prices
The tires you have ran in the past have all been junk, the Goodyear STs are good enough to move a vehicle from the dealership to a tire shop and thats about it.
The Goodyear Trailrunner is just a new style out and of course doesn't have many reviews yet, but appears to be a good (AT) tread design.
Many drink the Grabber kool aid so you'll find a lot of reviews on them.
Goodyear Duratracs are the last ones I ran on the 04. 265-75-16s installed at 129,000 and sold the tires and wheels at 221,000. Best tires I had ran for a long time, just have to keep rotated every 3-3500 miles

As far as your list my take
General Grabber AT2 NO
Kelly Edge AT (looks like a rock trap) HEARD GOOD AND BAD ON THESE NOT MANY RUN THEM THOUGH
Hankook Dynapro ATM Good reviews
Falken Wildpeak ATW3 Good reviews
Nexen Roadian AT Pro NO
Goodyear Trailrunner AT (new no reviews) ????
Goodyear Trailmark AT (rather buy from my guy than Walmart though)

Last edited:

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the grabbers. I didnt buy them to go rock crawling. I wanted a better tire fir year round. They have performed great rain snow and sun. They do fling mud or snow when they get clogged. This goes for rocks too occasionally. I was able to get 4 out the door $550. I am on a budget couldnt complain with that.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah see I don't purposely go mudding, or trailing, or rock crawling or playing in the snow or any of that. I have ATV's for sporting and fun.

This Jeep for me is my work truck, and sometimes my work drags me into some knarly places. Everything from road beds overtaken by grass, to road beds taken over by water washing, to muddy places, to steep dirt drives, to out in the snow working, you name it. It's mountainous here and country... There are a lot of places you're not going without 4x4. But I do spend a ton of time on pavement getting to these bad places. This Jeep does an admiral job of hauling what I need to haul and getting me where I need to get, without needing crazy aggressive tires that will drive me crazy on the street.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grabbers do have a light hum to them. I dont get off the road much at all i just wanted a good solid tire for winter. My jeep had some all seansons that sucked. I was sliding all over half the year. Now that i have these i am in 2wd 85% of the time with no problems.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care what others say, I love my general grabber at2 tires.
Great traction, severe weather rating, rim protector. Yea they hold onto and fling gravel a bit more than others but that's ok. No 3ply sidewall but that's ok for me and what I do

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care what others say, I love my general grabber at2 tires.
Great traction, severe weather rating, rim protector. Yea they hold onto and fling gravel a bit more than others but that's ok. No 3ply sidewall but that's ok for me and what I do

I suspect the grabbers will do just fine for people that aren't worried about cutting sidewalls. If you are just an on road/gravel road/snow person they will be fine. If you really get into gnarly trails with loose rock there will probably be issues.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out the Goodyear Wrangler Authority's?
Great looking tire, they're compared to the Duratracs in tread pattern and I've read nothing but great things
Good price for them too
Those are what I'm getting right before winter
https://www.walmart.com/ip/goodyear-wrangler-authority-tire-31x10.50r15-lt/11983156

I can't seem to find the Authority tire in any size that might fit the 07 liberty with 16" wheels?

225/75 or 235/70 or 245/70 possible fit or 235/75 possible fit

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a list to my tire guy I guess,

General Grabber AT2
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Yokahoma Geolandar G015
Goodyear Trailrunner AT

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the smallest size is a 31 sorry

Man I went to the other Walmart here tonight and saw these tires on the rack. I was really depressed after looking at the sizes they had. Talk about a tire that will make you ask yourself about a lift kit so they will fit... these sure will.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna take a list to my tire guy I guess,

General Grabber AT2
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Yokahoma Geolandar G015
Goodyear Trailrunner AT

I took this list to my tire guy and that really helped me narrow down.

I am either going to go with the Hankook Dynapro ATM or the General Grabber AT2.
And I haven't decided between 235/70-16 vs 245/70-16

ANY INPUT ON THESE TWO OR ON SIZE FOR A 2007 WITH NO LIFT?
I run 235/70-16 now.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I went to the other Walmart here tonight and saw these tires on the rack. I was really depressed after looking at the sizes they had. Talk about a tire that will make you ask yourself about a lift kit so they will fit... these sure will.

Good looking tire, huh?
I'm happy I lifted just to be able to get these!
The tread pattern on them is crazy for an A/T, I believe the tread depth is 18/32 which is even deeper than the Duratracs
I love the look of them so much I decided to go with them instead of the Grabbers
I'll be getting mine next month right before the snow starts up so I'll keep an update for how they perform

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had the grabber 2s for about 5yrs now and they still have tons of tread left. this has to be the best set of tires ive ever owned. i love them. i rotate them every 5k miles and air them to 30psi hot.

they feel soft and that worried me at first but ive yet to have trouble, however im sure the sidewalls on these are not good for rock crawling, but average mountain terain and average climbing has been great so far. there was an option for a thicker wall iirc.

the noise is just a very low hum and once they wear a little the hum almost goes away. the ONLY thing i dont like about them, is that they are not as good in mud as i hoped for, but still havent got stuck yet on a few pretty bad spots. worst spot so far was a newly cleared forest service road with no gravel after 5 days of rain. i was sweating going up that, but it made it ok.

snow is no problem at all. 12" snow 3 yrs ago all over the cohutah mountains and i only slid one time on a giant rock with ice on it. the rest of the snow/packed snow at times felt as if it wasnt even there.

so far id guess i have about 40k on them. i still have about 75% tread left from new.

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the grabbers. I got close to 60k on them and they were still good, a nail did them in because the tire shop would not repair a tire with that many miles on them. Tried to go lighter since (they are a little on the heavy side) for gas mileage and have regretted that decision (kuhmo then geolander (needed them in a hurry+sale+no grabbers available))

Latest posts

Members online