gear oil in cold climates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Two weeks ago I was in NW Pennsylvania and the morning temp was minus 31F. When I attempted to drive out of the hotel parking lot the KJ would barely move :emotions34: The diffs have 85-140 dino oil in them and it felt like I was trying to push through momma's Jello.

Had to move forward & backward a few times in the parking lot before the diffs loosened up enough for me to get out on the highway. Did that cause damage? I doubt it but I did wonder if I should put in synthetic next winter :shrug:

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I was in NW Pennsylvania and the morning temp was minus 31F. When I attempted to drive out of the hotel parking lot the KJ would barely move :emotions34: The diffs have 85-140 dino oil in them and it felt like I was trying to push through momma's Jello.

Had to move forward & backward a few times in the parking lot before the diffs loosened up enough for me to get out on the highway. Did that cause damage? I doubt it but I did wonder if I should put in synthetic next winter :shrug:

Bob

only at 31?? I use 85-140 and I have been in -5. Felt like oatmeal but no problem chugging along until it warmed up.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only at 31?? I use 85-140 and I have been in -5. Felt like oatmeal but no problem chugging along until it warmed up.

No, MINUS 31. I drove out of town about fifteen miles into an even more rural area and it dropped to minus 38. Yea, it was freaking cold :shakehead:

The KJ never missed a beat though - heater was like a sauna, started right up after every appointment. I just love my Jeep ;)

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ's seen as low as -35 degrees below zero and have no issues at all running 85w-140 dino gear oil.I also run 20w-50 engine oil in the t-case which is gear to gear(no chain).

Now that is till I lock in the front hubs,then yes dual diffs running 85w-140 I can't get above 45mph when the temps are below 0 degrees.Granted my front axle u-joints are not street friendly and after 5 years my front gear set still is far from being close to being "broken in" yet(only about 100 miles of being "under load",heck even being locked in and turning).

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wonder if I should put in synthetic next winter :shrug:

That's why everything I own has had syn for many years. But don't tell the boys here. They'll tell you how fast it'll make your diff grenade.