Gas tank skid question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Would it be ok to mount the gas tank skid right to the hitch, instead of mounting it between the hitch and frame?

Thanks

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
More sturdy to mount between hitch and frame. Can be a pain in the ass to do by yourself - get another set of hands and/or a good floor jack.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is more than a pain in the ass. There was a lot of struggle with me and two others with floor jacks and a transmission jack. It was done in about 30mns though. I tried it myself and ended up throwing the skid and the hitch and waiting for help the next day. Id offer help but that is a long distance haha

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When hanging my stuff on the rear, I have a 5-ish " long bolt with a large nut/built in washer similar to the nut on our cv's that I use to hang everything up

keeps ya from hurting yourself or dropping something on your face - a long phillips head screw driver in one hand, the 5+" bolt in the other get everything up and screw the bolt in

as long as your threads are good and clean you'll be able to turn it in by hand most of the way - then it's a matter of dragging a jackstand under the other side or under the center and letting everything rest on that while you get the other bolts started, once you're done getting everything aligned and started you can replace the longer bolt with whatever you usually use

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Floor jack, couple of jack stands and longer bolts like jarhead said and you're good to go.
If I can install a Kilby skid by myself with the hitch a stock gas tank skid will be a breeze

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, you sissies. :joke: I didn't need help from anyone and I didn't use jacks or stands.

I muscled up and put them on myself.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

I held the skid up with my leg, held the hitch up with my arm and then installed a couple of bolts to hold them up.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, you sissies. :joke: I didn't need help from anyone and I didn't use jacks or stands.

I muscled up and put them on myself.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

I held the skid up with my leg, held the hitch up with my arm and then installed a couple of bolts to hold them up.

My skid pulled towards the center, it had to be stretched to have the bolt holes line up. Don't know if you guys had this problem, but even with the hitch on the ground, the holes didnt line up without pulling the sides about 5 inches.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol try that with my rear bumper and tank skid and you'll find yourself pinned to the ground by 350lbs of very awkward steel

the one time i put my rear bumper on by myself without any mechanical help, the rear bumper slid off the lip of the rear of the vehicle and landed on my shins and pinned my knees against my chest - took me a good 3 - 5 mins to decompress enough to get the bumper up my shins far enough to get it above my knees so that I could breathe

:p

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I conned my Son into holding up the other end of the hitch and skid. It's a 15 minute job with another set of hands.

Dave