Gas tank skid leading to damage??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So someone was telling me that he had an S-15 with a gas tank skid on it, and over time dirt got trapped between the skid and tank, rubbed, and wore holes in the tank. He claimed he has to replace 2 tanks because of it...He also said there was space between the skid and tank and that the skid itself wasn't rubbing on the tank.

It seems pretty improbable to me...and much more likely that a rock will take out your tank than dirt build up and time, but figured I would see if anyone has heard of anything like this on any off-road vehicle, or anything specific to the KJ? Maybe it's not a bad idea to coat the tank with POR15 or something similar before installing a skid?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your gas tank is plastic.While it maybe possible to wear a hole in it all available gas tank skids have 4 large drain holes,one on each corner,which you can easily put a hose or high pressure wand into and clean the skid out which should be done after each wheeling trip and at least monthly anyways.

It's called common sense and taking care of your vehicle.The shiny side is the last part of the vehicle you want to wash,it's the undercarriage that requires constant cleaning.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of these days I want to design a giant metal steel frame with tracks made out of c-channels that I can just drive up onto...make it 4' off the ground or so. Would make undercarriage cleaning and general maintenance without a lift so much easier.

makes sense I guess that it could happen...I had just never heard of anything like it. you're right though, seems easily avoidable

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It would take a long time for some dirt to rub though the tank. Think about if you didn't have it and how it would just get sand blasted basically.

brokendad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fue l Tank

one of these days I want to design a giant metal steel frame with tracks made out of c-channels that I can just drive up onto...make it 4' off the ground or so. Would make undercarriage cleaning and general maintenance without a lift so much easier.

makes sense I guess that it could happen...I had just never heard of anything like it. you're right though, seems easily avoidable

The Chevy's have a problem with tanks being damaged this way. I owned a 1985 GMC pick-up and back then they used a metal tank with a metal skid tank covering the bottom and sides. The drainage isn't sufficient and tanks rusting out is a common problem. And the rack that you want can be found at almost any car lot, they drive the cars up on them to display.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Chevy's have a problem with tanks being damaged this way. I owned a 1985 GMC pick-up and back then they used a metal tank with a metal skid tank covering the bottom and sides. The drainage isn't sufficient and tanks rusting out is a common problem. And the rack that you want can be found at almost any car lot, they drive the cars up on them to display.

ok, so it is a common chevy thing, good to know...metal on metal +leftover crap and moisture makes alot of sense. Come to think of it...was talking to another friend with an S10, and he was replacing his gas tank this past weekend too. No skid on his though.

Yea, what car lots have is basically what I'm talking about, and probably where I got the idea...but it's more fun to design it myself.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick the hose in the side of the skid and flush until the water coming out is clear instead of brown. Repeat at various angles. Then, no more dirt. Magic.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the straps holding the tank rust and wear holes in tanks. Salt and dirt can do a lot to vehicles.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Salt and dirt can do a lot to vehicles.

Yes because people are too lazy to actually wash out the underside of their vehicles
PLUS they think it is so cool to drive around a week with mud plastered everywhere.
If they only knew how much damage it causes

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes because people are too lazy to actually wash out the underside of their vehicles
PLUS they think it is so cool to drive around a week with mud plastered everywhere.
If they only knew how much damage it causes
X's a billion

I was that way,never wash my vehicles and played in the mud alot.No one knew the actual color of my '84 F150 for at least a month since I was caked with mud so thick 2 big rain storms couldn't wash it all off.After I did wash it all were suprised to see it was the same color,s**t brown with a white top.Then I worked in a bodyshop and all that changed after I learned what all that stuff actually does.I won't even let dead bugs stay on my paint for more then a few hours before washing.