gas spilling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motherto2

Reaction score
I know I've read about this problem somewhere, but is there any fix for the gas overflowing at the gas pumps? I've put gas in my son's 06 twice, and both times it overflowed. Annoying as well as embarrasing.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta replace the gas tank as ethanol blended gas caused the check valve to expand.The same valve that the idiots are saying is not in there to prevent fuel spill if the fill hose get's ripped off in a rear end accident and spray gas everywhere causing a fire.

Oh and about $600 for the gas tank and if you run it to about 1/8 of tank not hard to swap out at all.

Oh and the only other way to prevent this is fill up slower or use none ethanol gas.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Jersey. Do you know how hard it is to tell these gas monkeys to just STOP trying to top off the tank? You're lucky you have control over it... :disgust:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Jersey. I still pump my own gas most of the time, simply because said chowder heads aren't careful enough around my paint.

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the SAME issue. I didn't know that it was Ethenol causing the problem. I commute through Jersey ALL the time. The idiots that pump dinged my panel TWICE. Wish I would have seen it. ****** me off big time.

rebelchick

Reaction score
I have had the same problem. I absolutely hate it, but I guess I will just have to learn to live with it. I love my Jeep and nothing about the automatic gas pump shutoff can change that.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just look at how full my tank is, and know about how much it will take to fill. Once I get to about a gallon or two before I expect it to be full I slow it way down...no more overflow

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in jersey as well. I had one over flow at my regular station, i have known the owner for years ( did some work in his house) he offered to pay for any damage to the paint so that was cool. No problems from it though. Like hectikart said, just pay attention to how much you had and whats been put in..

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel bad for you guys in Jersey- I learned all about that lunacy when I lived in NYC. I filled up in Jersey once. Never did it again. That can't-pump-your-own-gas thing is one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard of.

Maybe it sounds weird, but I LIKE pumping my gas. I'm paying for everything, so I should get to fill MY tank with MY gas.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I feel bad for you guys in Jersey- I learned all about that lunacy when I lived in NYC. I filled up in Jersey once. Never did it again. That can't-pump-your-own-gas thing is one of the dumbest laws I've ever heard of.

Maybe it sounds weird, but I LIKE pumping my gas. I'm paying for everything, so I should get to fill MY tank with MY gas.

We have the same local by-law here.
Here it's done to keep local people employed.
We never fill up in town though 'cause it's always ¢0.10 to ¢0.15 per liter more.
But the gas bar idiots still manage to spill ¢0.50-$1.00 worth of wretchedly expensive
fuel all over the side of our Rig when you hand them $40.00 or so dollars!:favorites68:

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same in oregon when I lived in washington. I thought it was weird not to pump my own gas. And it was 10 to 20 cents more expensive. I just filled up in vancouver when I went to portland.

Vancouver WA ry... not your Vancouver, that would make a horrible route from tacoma to portland.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Same in oregon when I lived in washington. I thought it was weird not to pump my own gas. And it was 10 to 20 cents more expensive. I just filled up in vancouver when I went to portland.

Vancouver WA ry... not your Vancouver, that would make a horrible route from tacoma to portland.

Yes, I realize it was Vancouver Washington!;)

I grew up in Washington state BTW!

Thanks though.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the same local by-law here.
Here it's done to keep local people employed.
We never fill up in town though 'cause it's always ¢0.10 to ¢0.15 per liter more.
But the gas bar idiots still manage to spill ¢0.50-$1.00 worth of wretchedly expensive
fuel all over the side of our Rig when you hand them $40.00 or so dollars!:favorites68:

If thats why we have a that law in nj they totally failed. Very few "locals" work pumping gas. Mostly small no name stations and wawa. Wawa is a HUGE chain convieniance store for those who do not know. All other stations have indians on 2 year work visas, very nice people though. I suppose theyre locals since they live about 15 to a 3 bedroom within walking distance lol

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If thats why we have a that law in nj they totally failed. Very few "locals" work pumping gas. Mostly small no name stations and wawa. Wawa is a HUGE chain convieniance store for those who do not know. All other stations have indians on 2 year work visas, very nice people though. I suppose theyre locals since they live about 15 to a 3 bedroom within walking distance lol

I'm more of a QuickChek man myself. :p