Gas Overflowing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

typhoolady

Reaction score
I have been having this overflow problem too and when I called my dealership they had no clue .Said there was nothing that would stop the gas and it must be the gas pump! Even I know there must be something that stops the gas from overflowing or everyone, everywhere would have the problem. I talked to my jeep buddy and he said it sounds like a valve problem. I then called another dealer to find it is probably the roll over valve and that there should be a recall in the next few weeks. I called my dealership back again, they never heard of a recall but now they are going to replace the entire neck (with the valve on the bottom). I'll keep you posted.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought my 07 last week. Both times I've filled it up it has done this. First time, I wasn't paying attention and was just going to let the pump shut off on its own, and it spilled over. Second time, I paid closer attention, and I still had a little bit of spillage. Haynes manual said something about the evaporative system could be the cause? Never had this issue with any of my vehicles before, even those with very short filler tubes (Miata). Anyone fix this issue?

Right now, I'm obviously going to keep an eye on it while I fill up, but would really like to fix it.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Same thing happened with my 2007 yesterday. (Just bought it two weeks ago.) It's not a matter of trying to squeeze that extra 17 cents in there to hit an even number, either. It was filling along slowly and then ker-splash - with no warning at all, not as much as a gurgle...

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they thought it might be weather related. I suspect that this may be on the right track. I filled it up in the freezing cold on my way back to Ohio from Virginia and had no trouble. Yesterday was not exactly warm here but it was a lot warmer than it was out on the PA Turnpike with the previous fill-up ten days ago. Worth keeping an eye on, I guess, since I don't like the nasty gas discoloration down the side of the car.