Gas over-fills every time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've filled my KJ gas tank half-dozen times now and every time, the tank over-fills and runs down the side and fender. I don't know why the nozzles don't auto-stop. It's not the nozzle either because this has happened at a different gas station each time.

The auto-stop kicks in just as the gasoline starts to spill out. I push the nozzle in as far as I can. It's maddening and messy.

Is this common? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Jim

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There are several threads on this subject and the consensus seems to be that the ethanol they put in (most) gas these days messes up the one-way valve that is supposed to cut it off. I started adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas a couple months ago and it seems to have cured the problem.

A more permanent fix is to replace the one-way valve. Someone around here has a very nice write-up on exactly how to do it. :)

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks perfesser. I think you're talkin' about this topic: HOW TO: fix the KJ fuel burp plague! If I had known the correct terminology, I'da found it before posting this thread. Well, I guess others will find it now too, if they use incorrect terminology like I did. :D

Jim
PS: oops, didn't refresh the page before my reply and I see uss2defiant posted the link too. Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny some have that issue
Never had it happen on mine in over 11 years
On my Step fathers where he gets his gas they still pump it, guy over flows it every time
I've had his now driving it for the past month, filled up several times and never had it happen to me. :shrug::shrug:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny some have that issue
Never had it happen on mine in over 11 years
On my Step fathers where he gets his gas they still pump it, guy over flows it every time
I've had his now driving it for the past month, filled up several times and never had it happen to me. :shrug::shrug:

Neither has mine, and that's because it's the 2005-09 Liberty's that can be (not necessarily will be) affected, as well as other models.
Chrysler even issued a TSB about it: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM18279902/INRD-PE10032-45586P.pdf

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've filled my KJ gas tank half-dozen times now and every time, the tank over-fills and runs down the side and fender. I don't know why the nozzles don't auto-stop. It's not the nozzle either because this has happened at a different gas station each time.

The auto-stop kicks in just as the gasoline starts to spill out. I push the nozzle in as far as I can. It's maddening and messy.

Is this common? Is there a fix?

Thanks,

Jim

My 2005 KJ does this as well. I don't feel comfortable attempting the fix myself so I just count gallons.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned and operated a full service service station over 25 years you learn that a large percentage of vehicles do this. If one is paying attention while filling and has any idea of how many gallons are likely to be the full point it's simple enough to back off the fill handle just a bit before reaching that point.

Bob

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect most people don't know how much gas their tank holds and couldn't translate the fuel gauge pointer into number of gallons needed to fill. Then there are the few, like myself, who have lung disease or other health issues and can't be standing close enough to the filler to breathe in too many fumes, let alone listen for when the liquid pouring sound pitch changes enough to know the tank is close enough to full.

This discussion is also not pertinent to those of you who aren't experiencing this issue. I don't understand the reason to tell us that it doesn't happen with your Jeep, unless you just want to brag or share evidence that your KJ is better than the others. :shrug: I intended this topic to find help from those who HAVE had this problem. I am very grateful those people shared their solutions. :happy107:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect most people don't know how much gas their tank holds and couldn't translate the fuel gauge pointer into number of gallons needed to fill. Then there are the few, like myself, who have lung disease or other health issues and can't be standing close enough to the filler to breathe in too many fumes, let alone listen for when the liquid pouring sound pitch changes enough to know the tank is close enough to full.

This discussion is also not pertinent to those of you who aren't experiencing this issue. I don't understand the reason to tell us that it doesn't happen with your Jeep, unless you just want to brag or share evidence that your KJ is better than the others. :shrug: I intended this topic to find help from those who HAVE had this problem. I am very grateful those people shared their solutions. :happy107:

What's bizarre about this issue is that not only is there a difference between model years (my 03 doesn't overfill while some later years do) but even people with the "bad" year KJ's have different experiences. In other words, one person's '05 will overfill every time while another person with the same year - and same model - hasn't ever had a problem.

That's the thing about the KJ - changes were made not only from one model year to the next but even in the same year. And a lot of those changes don't make sense at all.

Best writeup I've seen is the one linked to above - seems to have fixed the problem for those who have done it :waytogo:

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My 05 does it...or will do it. I count gallons. My 09 WK has never done it and I use the auto shut off thing on the pump.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Automatic nozzles normally have three settings. Try running it on the lowest one.

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been driving for forty years now. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned that did it. Guess I just forgot how to count, huh? :Bye:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this issue at a few different pumps at different stations. Some seem to pump faster so now I just avoid those ones.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD, and I have always had to basically trickle fuel in. Any more, and the pump nozzle shuts off. No dealership has ever been able to find a cause.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD, and I have always had to basically trickle fuel in. Any more, and the pump nozzle shuts off. No dealership has ever been able to find a cause.

Interesting, maybe they just don't want to find it. Next time, show them the TSB that Chrysler issued about it back in 2010, I gave the link in post #6.

abominablesnowman

Reaction score
I have an '05 and it will overflow every time if you let it. I normally fill at full speed until the last few gals and do those at the slowest speed possible before the pump shuts off. That is the lazy solution.

Basically you have to act like you are filling a 2L bottle from the sink and slow down at the end or you end up with water (gas) everywhere.

This is a timely revival of an old issue because I'm finally planning on installing the secondary 1-way valve from the GM part in the HowTo.

I can deal with the gas station fillup game, but I'm primarily worried in a roll-over situation that the valve will still stick open too...